Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutties in the Fraser  (Read 3035 times)

mykisscrazy

Cutties in the Fraser
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »

So I was fishing in a Fraser Backwater upstream of Mission on Monday Nov 3. Having a great time taking in the scenery and just Hiking around. Not seeing anything, no Chum, no coho...nothing (including people...just what I needed!). It's around 2:30 and sunny, just beautiful out. All of a sudden there are dimples and swirls on the water. Ha Ha found a couple of cutties. Start casting - Rolled Muddler...Nothing but they are still rising but now further out. So, I kept walking and would come back in a bit. More swirls and dimples....More casting...One hit....Then finally the light bulb goes on...They are feeding on the surface...There is a hatch of really small stonefly's - greeny black in colour. Quickly I change my tip and poke around in the box and come up with a sz 10 green caddis (as that's all I had is the size categories.
Well, to make a long story short - landed 3 cutties (all between 10 and 12 inches and wild). Then around 3:30 stopped and everything disappeared.

So, that is the latest in the year where I have caught anyting on a dry fly in the Fraser.

Has anyone out there had a similar situation and what's the latest anyone has caught a Cuttie in the Fraser on a dry fly?

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Cutties in the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »

I don't know about the Fraser but my local flow I get them on Tom Thumbs in the winter and have seen bulls rise to larger dries in Jan. Although I have caught fish on many weird patterns in there though :o
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »

I have raised fish to dries in both Jan and Feb, on our lower elevation Fraser Valley lakes. You just need enough afternoon sun to warm the surface temp of the water and cause a hatch.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »

definitely. November even December can be mild enough for various hatches - caddis, midges stoneflies may flies. February will see midges, stones flies. Maylies will be available in late March and April in some locations. I have had some good fishing to honey bees where bee hives have been kept close to the river. In late winter early spring bees fly on warm afternoons and as it cools towards evening fall to the water. Unfortunatley with the spread of bee mites active hives are all but non-existent at this time of year.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.