Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TELUS-vs-SHAW  (Read 10366 times)

WEEFISH

TELUS-vs-SHAW
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »

Hi  sorry this isn't fishing related but has anyone had any issues with Telus Mobility?  I have a Rogers account and am helping a senior family member with their telus mobility account and have had nothing but problems?? Is this normal from telus?

Also has anyone switched over to shaw for their home line service? Any comments as I am now looking at switching my home line to shaw?

Just looking for input from your experiences ...Thanxs
<"((((><

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: TELUS-vs-SHAW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »

Shaw isn't perfect it's just 10,000 times better than Telus-which still isn't saying a lot for Shaw. ::)

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:55:05 AM »

I switched my home phone to Shaw a few months ago and it has worked very well.

I even have a buddy that comes over and uses my phone to call Thailand at $0.05/minute.

Half hour call is $1.50

There are no contracts with Shaw as well.

clownfish

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »

My wife and I have had Telus cell phones (no texting/email/internet on them) for a few years. The service hasn't been bad, but I wouldn't refer to it as great, mediocre would likely be the best word. Their coverage of the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley is not the best. I have had access problems in areas where Rogers customers have great reception, for example up around Harrison Bay. I think our contract expires soon, when it does we will definitely change to a different supplier. As far as Shaw for internet access, I'm reasonably pleased, whenever there has been a problem they have been quick to take care of it AND they adjusted my bill to reflect any downtime. I've never used Telus for internet, I only know one person that uses their high speed internet that swears by it. Everyone else that I know that did have Telus high speed swears at it!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »

I've had Shaw land line for 9 months and it has been perfect.
No dropped calls, no degraded voice, no loss of service, and more importantly no Telus service (or lack thereof).

I really quite enjoy it when Telus calls me to beg me to come back.
Then I can start my rant all over again about how badly they screwed up and caused me to go to Shaw in the first place.
They hang up rather quickly  :P

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »

Really depends where you are.  In suburbs, shaw is better than Telus.  In Vancouver, Telus' better.  This is esp. true for internet services.  ADSL is dedicated line, which means whatever bandwidth you ordered will stay the same.  Shaw internet is bandwidth sharing, so in populated area, you might slow all the way down to a crawl and in suburb because you might be the only one using internet, most of the time you'll get faster service than you ordered.

In terms of landline, really depends how far away you are from terminal box.  This will determine your line quality.

Mobile coverage between Roger/Telus, again depends where you are.  But most importantly the phone you get.  Nokia in general has better reception than other brands, and because of this it generates more radio radiation.

SO really depends where you are.  But onething for sure, non of the companies appreciates loyal customer.  They only give special rates and promotions to new customer.   >:(

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »

I've had Shaw bundled internet and HDtv service for four years now and quite happy with their service. I use the high speed internet service and have not had any down time and no lagging downloads. Tv service has been great,any time there has been an issue with pay per view Shaw has credited me the charges with no song and dance on my part. I bought an HD pvr terminal and  twice had to schedule a service call. The tech came within the first 2 hours of the schedule time slot and replaced the terminal with a newer model both times. Pleased with Shaw as a provider.
It ain't the roe bro'

WEEFISH

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:45 PM »

::) Thanxs for the imput...I will be switching to shaw for home phone service.

As for Telus Mobility I am stuck as I am taking over the contract for my 88 yr old father whom is not able to deal with their lack of customer service . No compassion at all  (he just wanted face to face customer service)...they do not offer this!  I'll be dealing with the lovely phone staff now >:( >:( >:(

<"((((><

daveyjoneser

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

Funny just this year where I fish on the vedder my telus phone has no service not good

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »

I have Telus's bundle that consists of

-Telus TV lovers package (around 100 channels of digital TV)
-High speed internet
-Landline
-1000 long distance minutes (NA and overseas).

For just under 100$/month including taxes it is really hard to beat, and the service has been excellent.

lulu

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »

I never have an issue with my TELUS Mobility phone on the veddar...strange.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »

bwibwi, Where you are makes no difference with Shaw,in fact there segmentation to fiber optical transmitter/recievers(nodes) is more saturated in highley populated areas, most high rise buidings have there own, As for telus TV, try and get high definition, it is availibal but only to limited areas because of the speed required to tranfer data to there box, As for Shaw if you can get cable at your house you can get phone, internet and high def, not trying to sing the praises of the cable company but it is a very good service at this time.........but as anything in the Hi Tech industry just wait till next year and it will change.
signed..The cable guy

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 03:16:12 AM »

Yes as you said more saturated.  Unfortunately the way they do it is guesstimate no. of users in each area and allocated bandwidth accordingly.  Further upload is only about 700 to 900kb for cable.  Cable's performance and stability in TV is definitely better.  As cable's max through put can be as high as 25MB.  Telus ADSL can only be 12MB if you are close to it's remote site.  Unless in the future they switch to VDSL otherwise there isn't enough bandwidth for TV.

silverslab

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »

My Job dictates that I have to deal with both Shaw and telus on both land lines and cellular as our equipment uses their lines, I have found that shaw's land line phone service is better than telus's by a long shot, the only problem I have found is that when they come to your house to hook it up they will usually only hook up one phone jack (not sure why). As for the internet I have found telus to be better, shaw seems to drop out a lot, it's only a couple of seconds but it happens to me several time a week and is frustrating sitting there waitng for it to come back, other times it is really slow. My experience with cell phones says that rogers blows telus away.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 06:08:48 PM »

BWIBWI, I can,t dispute your upload and down load #,s, but Shaw does not guess at any thing when it comes to #,s and saturation, they know every address that every location feeds and are able to monitor usage, as for band width that never changes.
Silverslab, when doing a phone change over the shaw phone is connected at the demark to the same lines that were on the Telus drop, if there were 5 lines on the same number before there would be five lines when the installer leaves, if you are talking of different phones #,s they have the abillity to connect multibal #'s at the same location