Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question regarding Bait  (Read 2068 times)

Sinaran

Question regarding Bait
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »

I have recently cured some chum roes, and i found the finished products a little hard and not smelly enough.
The way i cured it was,  bled the fish, cleaned the roe and kept it away from water.  Drained it for 10 hours or so, then added on the paultke procure Red, shook them well in a zip ploc bag, put it in the refrigerator overnight, the next day, I covered them with borax. 
Am i missing anything there? i am pretty new in this, and i don't want to waste any roe at all. 
Another question is, when the fish attack the roe, do they get attracted by the scent or the roe itself?  or both? 
thanks for any input!!   :P
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Chromie

Re: Question regarding Bait
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »

I would just go out and try it ..... if it works thats great ...... fish go for both the look and the scent of roe.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »

You dried them too long if they are a bit hard. They should still work.

hotrod

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

Both!

HR

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

some people say youll only catch fish with good roe, Iv seen on 2 occasions were cupcakes roe has done the trick.
The Bigger The Better!

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

I have recently cured some chum roes, and i found the finished products a little hard and not smelly enough.
The way i cured it was,  bled the fish, cleaned the roe and kept it away from water.  Drained it for 10 hours or so, then added on the paultke procure Red, shook them well in a zip ploc bag, put it in the refrigerator overnight, the next day, I covered them with borax. 
Am i missing anything there? i am pretty new in this, and i don't want to waste any roe at all. 
Another question is, when the fish attack the roe, do they get attracted by the scent or the roe itself?  or both? 
thanks for any input!!   :P
         It should still work. Next time try rolling the skeins up in paper towel in the fridge overnight /use the chem-cure as per directions/drain-dry in a cool place overnight/dust with borax and store in freezer bags or glass jars.I think the draining for 10 hours you did before curing dried it out too much.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:04:59 PM »

Iv only done a handfull of batches myself but the last batch turned out mint.
It was the first time I used a brine recipe,alot more work but nice results.
I kind of followed this recipe with shttp://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/eggs.htm

I believe scent of the bait is a big factor.Thats why you want your roe to "milk out"
Another little trick is when drying your roe after brining use an old window screen.

Sinaran

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »

great recommendations guys!! thanks a bunch! 
that was what i thought too, drying it out too much..  and when the eggs became hard it was hard to milk out.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!