Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The problems with fishing line...  (Read 8174 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
The problems with fishing line...
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:43:54 PM »

Are there any outfits you guys know of that accept fishing line for proper recycling?

I'm trying to find more ways to minimize my impact.

There were some interesting points on this website I found, which is worth taking a look at. I think all of us have been guilty at some time of throwing old pieces of line in the water...

Cheers,
Nicole

http://www.fishinglinerecycling.org/faq.htm

Why is monofilament a problem in the environment?
Most monofilament is non-biodegradable and can last hundreds of years depending on environmental conditions. Because it is thin and often clear, it is very difficult for birds and animals to see and they can easily brush up against it and become entangled in it. Once entangled, they may become injured, may drown, may become strangled, or may starve to death. Many animals also ingest fishing line. One recovered sea turtle was found to have consumed 590 feet of heavy-duty fishing line.

How does monofilament end up in the environment?
Much of the fishing line that ends up in the water gets there when someone's hook gets snagged on something underwater and the line breaks when pulled. Sometimes the line will rub against a sharp shell (like an oyster shell) and will break. Large fish can sometimes pull hard enough to break lines. Sometimes fishing lines get caught in trees and break off there. Even fishing line that is thrown in the garbage can end up in the environment-either by blowing out of the garbage can or landfill, or by being taken out by birds or animals.

Can all fishing line be recycled?
No, only fishing line that is a single filament, nylon product. Fishing line that is braided or contains wire can not be recycled. Fishing line that has a lot of growth on it or plant material mixed up with it may not be recyclable.

Who does the recycling?
Pure Fishing America (Berkley) in Iowa, 1900 18th Street, Spirit Lake, IA 51360-1041

How is monofilament recycled?
The monofilament is collected from recycling bins and cleaned of hooks, leaders, weights, and trash by volunteers. It is then shipped to the Berkley Pure Fishing Company in Iowa. Berkley melts the line down into raw plastic pellets that can be made into other plastic products including tackle boxes, spools for line, fish habitats, and toys. It is not made into more monofilament line.

How do I recycle my monofilament?
You can mail it directly to Berkley (call 1-800-BERKLEY), deposit it in cardboard recycling boxes which can be found in some tackle shops, or deposit it in an outdoor monofilament recycling container.

I always throw my line in the trash, is that ok?
If you throw out monofilament you are still keeping it out of the environment, but be sure to cut the line into short lengths (6" to 12"), because once it goes to the landfill it can be scavenged there by animals trying to use it to build nests, or eat it. These animals will get entangled, entangle their young, and will bring the line right back out into the environment.

Can I put fishing line in my recycling bin at home?
No. Fishing line is a high density plastic and requires a special recycling process. It cannot go into the most regular household recycling bins. Instead it can be brought to an outdoor recycling bin or to a participating tackle shop. I. If you spool line at home save it up in a box or bag and bring it to a drop off location.

There are many things that you can do to help keep line out of the environment.

Recover Your Line - Whenever possible retrieve and properly dispose of any monofilament line that you encounter. It is particularly important to take the time to remove monofilament from the mangroves if it becomes tangled there after miscasting.
Volunteer - Participate in local beach and river cleanup events. Volunteer for agencies that are actively sponsoring cleanups. Volunteer to sponsor an outdoor monofilament recycling bin and empty it of line on a monthly basis.

Be Line Conscious - Consider the age of your line and its strength and keep track of and store loose pieces of fishing line. Even tag ends cut from leaders can be stored easily for proper disposal. Cut an 'X' into the lid of a film or tennis ball canister to make it easy to poke the pieces of line through.

Recycle - Recycle monofilament fishing line at a local tackle shop or an outdoor PVC recycling bin posted at boat ramps and piers. If the tackle shop you visit does not have a recycling bin encourage them to participate in the program.

Boat Safety Rules - If you fish from a boat make it a boat rule not to throw any kind of plastic overboard and especially not monofilament line.

"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: The problems with fishing line...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

Most tackle shops will accept used fishing line for proper disposal.

Verdi

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »

Bio line  if it helps you sleep at night..

http://www.gofastandlight.com/BioDegradable-Fishing-Line/productinfo/FI-B-BIOX/

Has anybody tried it yet?

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »

I know the Jason at Pacific angler has a recycling station right at the front door!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »

hey that's great, I never noticed it...

I'll drop some off next time I head by there.

Thanks,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Bhinky

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »

Every time I see that picture of Harper in your signature it gives me the creeps....