Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 28th 2008  (Read 3348 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, September 28th 2008
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »

one more fish today, lots hooked (13 but managed to loose 9 of them) All fresh fish, chrome or barely in the river for a few days. I hate photos like this one, but leaving the camera at home didn't help the situation out. 

Fish killer 101

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 28th 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

Thats a very nice fish.   I was there yesterday afternoon using a and a very similar rig to the one in you photo but nothing for me.

All the slower moving pools were completely overrun and I wasn't seeing to much being caught - one chum and one spring landed out of all the people I watched.  (I think I was the only one fishing with a spoon very much like this one).

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »

Nice fish!

I hit the Vedder just after first light, near Peach Rd.  I managed to hook one big chum that I tailed quickly and let go.  Other than that had a few wobbles on the float, but no more love for me today.  I didn't have much time, and was more exploring the lower river than anything else.  lol

Saw a few chums and springs hooked, and one beauty coho that was lined on an 8ft leader bottom bouncing. ::)

Also picked up a bunch of trash in honour of "Clean Rivers" day, as I didn't have time to make it to the actual clean-up.

Glad to hear you got some fish though!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »

BTW - What part of the river were you fishing, younggun?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »

Also picked up a bunch of trash in honour of "Clean Rivers" day, as I didn't have time to make it to the actual clean-up.

Glad to hear you got some fish though!
Well done and thanks, I am sure others did the same. We will be filing a report later with pictures and I believe a video Rodney took.

Briefly the cleanup was one of the best ever. A lot of people work hard to make an event this size happen but a special thanks to Everyday as he worked at the event from start to finish, this is the type of younger people like him we need, those that care about the resource and our environmentvent as well as do something about it.
Also to Milo who with his gang had to cross a part of the river to cleanup an abandoned camp on a Vedder River island, no easy task. Make sure you thank those that helped you Milo, much appreciated.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »

No problem, Chris - I always pack a garbage bag and almost always use it to pack out trash I find (especially since I rarely am lucky enough to get to pack out a fish in it).  Yesterday I just did it in honour of the cleanup day.  :)

Good on you guys, as well as Everyday, Milo, and the rest! 

Cheers!
:D
Tex

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »

This was the first time I fished the Vedder and I was there for the cleanup.   It's too bad that some people leave fishing line and hooks lying around - it doesn't give our sport a good reputation.  I think it is great to see people concerned about issues like this.

From now on I will do the same - pack a bag and do some cleanup of debris like that every time I go.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 08:50:54 PM »

Also to Milo who with his gang had to cross a part of the river to cleanup an abandoned camp on a Vedder River island, no easy task. Make sure you thank those that helped you Milo, much appreciated.

it was our pleasure, Chris. Always up for a challenge. :D
Please feel free to call me if you identify a similar problem on any given day.
I am sure I can assemble a gang and act on it, as long as the river conditions allow for it.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »

I am sure I can assemble a gang and act on it, as long as the river conditions allow for it.

I wish I could have been in your gang. I used to be but now a big body of water gets in the way. LOL Awesome job as always buddy!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:33:16 AM »

I wish I could have been in your gang. I used to be but now a big body of water gets in the way. LOL Awesome job as always buddy!!
Brian should start a program on the Cowichan River if you have the time, you have the experience to get one going. When I was over there a few weeks ago there was sure a lot of garbage around the lower river, a disgrace to put it mildly. Go see Ernie Elliott over at the First Nations Band Office in downtown Duncan I am sure he would give you some help getting it going. I went to school with him and he is a real good guy, tell him I asked you to see him and discuss this. Give him the CVRCC web site so he can see the work this organization does.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:30:08 AM »

Thats a great idea Chris. I'll have to wait until I get my business going full steam and have the time to concentrate on something else.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »

fishonsteelheader and I had a pretty good outing on sunday , we started on the upper and worked are way down . Found allot of good water with a little less pressure . Lots of springs landed , a dolly , sockeye , coho . We were changing up allot to with different choices of baits . Seems one bait will work for awhile then we change up and that would get them biting . It was a good day on the river .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »

sounds like a great day, and the water u were fishing is really nice stuff, good choice on location
Fish killer 101