Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any good fly fishing in the lower mainland??  (Read 5245 times)

Sebastien

Is there any good fly fishing in the lower mainland??
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »

I am wondering if there is any good fly fishing in the lower mainland, mainly in the form of rivers/streams.

I know of the Skagit but is there anything else? Birkenhead maybe, I was there earlier in the year on a camping trip, not fishing?

I think I have been treated to to much great fishing in the east Kootenays, fishing the elk, bull and a few others. Unfortunately though I live in New West now and don't really know of any good fly fishing rivers or streams around. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not that fond of lakes myself, I prefer wading and fly fishing)don't we all), I am a sport fisherman, practicing catch and release only and I prefer to pursue smaller fish (ie I'm not a fan of the vedder and big salmon/steelies). Not that I can't catch them I just prefer a relaxing day on smaller waters.

Anyway if anyone can point me in the right direction or suggest some resources that might be helpful to me I would appreciate it.

patagonia

Re: Is there any good fly fishing in the lower mainland??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »

The birk is fishing well... bring small egg patterns as teh sockeye are in and drift through the runs... beautiful place

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:00:08 PM »

Ashlu is another good system to try.

patagonia

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »

Yup.... too bad they are damming that river it is a real gem

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »

Agreed.  Have you fished the system this year?

Sebastien

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »

thanks.

I went up the ashlu a month ago, it was a pouring day, and the work at the damn was sad. Didn't get any fishing in though because my gf wasn't feeling the rain. I wanted to at least give a couple of casts. Oh well, I guess you can't win all the battles ;)

patagonia

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:30:49 AM »

I havnt fished it yet this year, still cant believe they approved that project, one of many micro hydro projects on the slate for BC

UFC

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »

the Coquihalla is a great fly fishing river, but you have to check the regulations before going as there are many closures on this river.

J.G.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »

the Coquihalla is a great fly fishing river, but you have to check the regulations before going as there are many closures on this river.

You won't make many friends posting about places like this. The people that fish there know about it for a reason. The ones that don't probably shouldn't.

Sebastien

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 04:01:06 PM »

Thanks again.

You could use PM if you want to keep a river secret, there is info out there on the Coq, so it's not top secret. I agree that beautiful places must remain that way, but I don't see why responsible fishermen should be excluded from info.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »

Speaking of resources, perhaps you've checked it out already:
http://www.flyfishbc.com/

I see that you're more into the smaller fish, but there is an interesting article with some reference to places:
http://www.bcfishingreports.com/articles/coho-on-the-fly.htm

If you don't mind a trip to the Isnald, check this out:
http://www.bcflyfishingresources.com/anglers/reports_articles/index.php?show_details=62

Happy fly fishing!

guy

UFC

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »

JG.
I think the Coquihalla is more well known than the Ashlu so I didn't think I was giving away too many secrets that others weren't already giving up. As I said, there are many closures on that river, which pretty much ensures the masses stay away.

Point taken though. I'll keep my main comments to the usual haunts (i.e. Fraser, Vedder, Harrison, etc) and PM others

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

Even though you said you don't care for the larger river's eg. Vedder if you go up into rivers such as these not during salmon or steelhead season there is some great dry fly fishing with most of the river to yourself. If you get a chance go chase after the elusive sea run cutty in Tribs. off the Fraser. They are my favorite fish and provide exellent sport. Other then that you just have to find some flows and check them out it is the only way you learn and find your fav. stream :) Good luck
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:25:42 PM »

Local lakes are fishing real well right now.  All the larger fish (12-16") that you don't see during the warm summer weather are really on the bite right now.  Now that there has been a frost try a water boatman casted ontop of a shoal and stripped in over deeper water.