Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking For Blues  (Read 5349 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Looking For Blues
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

I have spent two days in my old stomping grounds looking for some Blue Grouse but have not seen one yet. However I have got some nice pictures and video of some black bear, deer and Roosevelt Elk. It seems to be more of the latter around than grouse. Maybe today I will find a covey or two of birds.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Looking For Blues
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »

post your pictures and film chris...

love to see the Rosie!
see ya on the river

fishnjim

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »

try near your favorite thompson jack fishery.  (sackum,nicomen)

or anywhere around lytton/lilooet

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »

try near your favorite thompson jack fishery.  (sackum,nicomen)

or anywhere around lytton/lilooet
thanks, I finaly got a willow and a blue. $100 worth of gas, not enough walking, to  much road hunting. ??? ::)

fishnjim

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:42:39 PM »

expensive grouse...nowadays with gas it will be like this.  i am going ocean fishing this weekend, but the following i will hit the hills around lyton for grouse and scout the sheep.  or maybe scout my moose.  or maybe trout fish the lakes around home.  my favorite time of year..lots to do.  good lick with the chickens..i know it is a bit far for you to come to the interior, maybe time it around 1st week of october where you can hunt almost all critters in open season and still can have a successful fish in the area?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

expensive grouse...nowadays with gas it will be like this.  i am going ocean fishing this weekend, but the following i will hit the hills around lyton for grouse and scout the sheep.  or maybe scout my moose.  or maybe trout fish the lakes around home.  my favorite time of year..lots to do.  good lick with the chickens..i know it is a bit far for you to come to the interior, maybe time it around 1st week of october where you can hunt almost all critters in open season and still can have a successful fish in the area?
I am in PG now a the senior games, will spend a day looking around after the games, pouring rain right now, am watching the PG Cougars against the Kamloops Blazers, 1 -0 PG after 1
period.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 06:17:40 AM »

we only saw 2 on our trip, last year we there they're were tonnes... ??? on the ride home went wnet into Tulameen the back way we saw ZIP ???

fishnjim

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:28:04 PM »

from most areas i have been...and i work in the bush... the grouse outlook looks good to excellent.  but that does change in heavily hunted/travelled or poipulated areas, where they are tough to find while behind the wheel.  most areas without much traffic or pressure, i have seen many birds along the road.  in areas that are heavily used the birds are very hard to find...they just go to other areas or get shot out.

i will have to go and get some birds.

i hope you were rootin for the blazers!!!
go blazers go!!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »

My buddy works for the bcwf in charge of conservation.  We were hunting this weekend and were noting that there were scads of grouse around (ruffies) in the okanagan area.  I was asking him if the area received much pressure, to which he replied "pressure has nothing to do with it, its all habitat"....basically, if you have a dry, warm winter and spring, you're going to see lots of grouse, period.  Hunting pressure accounted for something like 4% of population decline in the heaviest hunted areas.

We were seeing at least 20 grouse in 2 hours out each day.  Haven't hunted this area for blues but I have heard the side roads up near the toll booth are productive....and it is only a couple of hours drive, less from the wack.