Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will you be attending the World Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack on September 28th?

Yes!
No.
Maybe.

Author Topic: Celebrate World Rivers Day at Chilliwack River on September 28th!  (Read 10874 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition would like to welcome you to join us at the annual World Rivers Day celebration on Sunday September 28th. This is a great opportunity for anglers to give back to the river that is most heavily used by recreational groups in BC.

The celebration will start with a river cleanup. Registration will take place between 8:30am and 9:30am at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club (48685 Chilliwack Lake Road, across from Thompson Park). The cleanup will take place from 9:00am until noon. Participants will be assigned to different sections of the Chilliwack River. Rubber gloves, garbage bags and limited number of pickup tools will be provided. As usual, Tim Hortons will also be providing coffee, donuts, muffins for volunteers. Please bring garden gloves if needed and wear appropriate clothings and footwears for the cleanup.

At noon, participants will gather back at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club for a BBQ lunch, entertainment, environmental/educational displays and prize draws.

The salmon fishing will be quite good on the Chilliwack River by September 28th. This would be a great opportunity for you to come fishing at first light for a few hours, then join us for the cleanup and BBQ while fishing is slow during the day, and return to fishing afterward.

There will be plenty of draw prizes for participants. The list will be announced when the event gets closer. For FWR readers, I will give away 10 annual subscriptions to those who show up.

Please help us to keep the Chilliwack River litter-free so everyone can have a good angling experience.

If you have a question about the event, please post a reply or email either Chris or me.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Celebrate World Rivers Day at Chilliwack River on September 28th!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »

I will be attending else where. One comment I would like to make though is I have been out on the river a few times this summer and I sure wish that someone could get the city of Chilliwack to crack down on all the abuse of the resource. It just sickens me to see what campers are getting away with. I would hate to see it but I think the city needs to make it illegal to camp anywhere on the river that is not a certified camp ground. The garbage that is left behind by this group is the reason we need clean ups and that is sad. They are also the ones that use it a an open washroom and the personal logging area for firewood. The city should be doing something about this instead on relying on a group to clean up something they turn a blind eye to. This of course is just my 2 cents.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:43:55 PM »

I will be attending else where. One comment I would like to make though is I have been out on the river a few times this summer and I sure wish that someone could get the city of Chilliwack to crack down on all the abuse of the resource. It just sickens me to see what campers are getting away with. I would hate to see it but I think the city needs to make it illegal to camp anywhere on the river that is not a certified camp ground. The garbage that is left behind by this group is the reason we need clean ups and that is sad. They are also the ones that use it a an open washroom and the personal logging area for firewood. The city should be doing something about this instead on relying on a group to clean up something they turn a blind eye to. This of course is just my 2 cents.
Unfortunately this happens on all our rivers, and some fishers are no better. I just got back from the Thompson and had to clean up two fishing spots. There was line everywhere, roe containers, barbed hooks, food tins, hook package etc. A disgrace to see such a beautiful river treated this way by those who you think would know better.

I agree governments could do more to enforce dumping regulations but it is not going to happen as they do not have the people to do a proper job. For example we need double the conservation service but the Provincial government says there is not enough money to fund more officers.

It is up to groups like the CVRCC with their BC Rivers Day cleanup to prevent tons of garbage finding its way into the river each year. I hope as many as possible from this forum will attend one of the river cleanups throughout BC, we are making a difference.

speycaster

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »

I think i just might drive down from Grand Forks for this one, just to get the record for farthest travel. I hear Chris is putting up an a prize for that category. ;D ;D ;D   Lunch at Cookies. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »

I think i just might drive down from Grand Forks for this one, just to get the record for farthest travel. I hear Chris is putting up an a prize for that category. ;D ;D ;D   Lunch at Cookies. ;D

Transport some walleye down here for me then, because I couldn't find them last week. :P ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 03:33:59 PM »

I'm hoping to come out really bad.... I have a feeling I will be hunting at that time though   :-\

speycaster

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »

Gees Rodney i saw 7 walleye in that google earth picture you sent me. ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »

I'll be there, as usual.  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »

Good man Milo, Lew has a challenging job for you, please bring your waders. ;D ;D

Lets have a good turnout from this forum, do some fishing before and after, lots of fish around. ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »

Ill come if I can get a ride from someone  ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 05:56:45 AM »

Ill come if I can get a ride from someone  ???
You know if you come with me I put you to work. ;D ;D

I have to pick up the donuts etc. at 6:30 am so I could pick you up at 6:45. PM me your address again if this will work for you.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »

Good man Milo, Lew has a challenging job for you, please bring your waders. ;D ;D

As long as you don't ask me to bring my scuba gear, I'll be OK...I think! :o

BTW, I will be leaving Vancouver around 7:00 AM, with a pit stop at Whatcom Road (RFT) between 7:45 - 8:00AM.
Let me know if anyone needs a ride.

Cheers,

Milo
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:11:18 AM by milo »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »

Chilliwack Progress
Cleanup a way to show stewardship

By Jennifer Feinberg - Chilliwack Progress

Published: September 25, 2008 6:00 PM The world-class recreational waterway known as the Chilliwack/Vedder River will be the site of a major cleanup Sunday morning to celebrate World Rivers Day.

“Most of the user groups on this pristine river system have a real and true appreciation for it, and are disappointed by the continued abuse of the resource by the very few,” said Lew Chater of the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition.

They’re hoping more than 250 volunteers will get out the gloves and boots and hit the river banks for the cleanup, he said. It’s the 25th cleanup on the Chilliwack/Vedder the coalition has hosted, and the seventh fall event in conjunction with B.C. Rivers Day, which has become World Rivers Day.

Organizers consider the cleanup an ideal way for anglers and others on the river to give back, since it’s one of the most heavily used river resources by recreational groups in B.C. Cleanup volunteers pull out tons of trash out of the bush every year, including hazardous garbage like old batteries and paint cans, as well as food containers, fishing line, household furniture, and appliances.

Participants will be assigned to different sections of the Chilliwack River, and up until recently there were 21 sections of the river spoken for in the Adopt-A-River program.

“A couple of those sections are up for adoption again,” Chater said.

River celebrations are all about promoting river stewardship, according to World Rivers Day chair Mark Angelo.

“It highlights the many values of rivers and strives to increase public awareness and hopefully encourage the improved stewardship of rivers around the world. Rivers in every country face an array of threats, and only our active involvement will ensure their health in the years ahead.

World Rivers Day evolved out of the “incredible success” of B.C. Rivers Day in the province over the past 28 years, he added, and there are now events worldwide.

Ultimately the group of local river stewards are focused on protection and access issues.

“We’re also concerned about maintaining continued access to the river,” said Chater. “Because the easiest way to stop the damage and the dumping would be to close off or restrict access in some way. So as users, we want to maintain the pristine wilderness, while maintaining access. That’s why we’re out there cleaning up other people’s messes.”

The river celebration will start with a river cleanup. Registration get going on Sunday, Sept. 28 between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30. a.m. at the Chilliwack Fish and Game Club (48685 Chilliwack Lake Road, across from Thompson Park).

The cleanup runs from 9 a.m. to noon, followed by a barbecue, live bluegrass band, live displays and prize draws.

jfeinberg@theprogress.com

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »

Hmmm...I planned to head out for my first ever trip to the Vedder this Sunday afternoon.

I will see if I can make it to this as a chance to help out a bit and as a way to get to know the River a little bit since I have only ever been there on two occasions before (Not for fishing unfortunately).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 01:33:05 AM »

Back to the top, we are now one day away from the big event!

The weather forecast is predicting superb weather for Sunday. The sunny weather during the day will probably mean slower fishing anyway, so come on out after fishing at first light!

Hmmm...I planned to head out for my first ever trip to the Vedder this Sunday afternoon.

Come on by for a chat during the BBQ after the cleanup, we'll probably be able to provide some starting points on where to go. :)