Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye numbers  (Read 3305 times)

MrBlitz

• I'm a llama!
Sockeye numbers
« on: August 12, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »

I was just looking at the fisheries and oceans web site for the Fraser River test fishery.  I am just wondering how the #'s are calculated for good/poor runs.  It seems the numbers this year at the test fishery are as good or better then they have been in any of the last 4 or 5 years as far as sockeye returns.  Anybody out there have a clue how this is handled?

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptcsbdparm.cfm?stat=CPTFM&fsub_id=242

Have a super day everybody.

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »

We caught 8 and lost 4 last week.  Off the water by 8.   :)  before you get your panties in a bunch, we were at Lake Wenatchee, WA.  Sure are tasty

Marsman

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »

Hey Bentrod,  That's a bit of a journey for them.  How clean were they?

Cheers, Rob

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:17 PM »

Wish I took pics.  But, only one of them had any spec of strawberry color on it.  The meat was all perfect.  The fish were between 5 and 7 lbs.  The only downfall to the fishery is that launching and taking out (of one launch) too up to 2 hours both ways.  It was an absolute mess at the launch.  once on the lake, fishing was relatively easy. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:31:46 PM »

I fished Fish lake on my camping trip which is close by. The sockeye opening was on when I was down there bu lake Wenatchee is a little too intimidating for the float tube  ;) Some great fisheries down there, the trout in Fish Lake were quite big, there had been at least one 5 + pnd trout out of the lake every day for the last couple months, all I caught was a 6 inch bass  ::)

dnibbles

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:39:53 PM »

That site is for the chinook/chum test fishery. Have a look at this page for the sockeye test fishery  http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing.htm    The stock composition data that is collected via DNA from these fish are applied to a total passage estimate generated at Mission by hydroacoustics. The result is an estimate by stock (seen at http://www.psc.org/FraserPnl/Escapement/Sockeye_Escapement_by_Stock.pdf ) The actual test fishing numbers in the river can be affected year to year by water levels, seal predation, etc. The actual numbers are calculated from the acoustic site. This year's sockeye runs were expected to be poor, as the 2004 brood year was very poor. Early indications are mixed, as some stocks are returning in strong numbers, and others are looking quite weak.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:00:32 PM »

lets just hope that enough of these beatiful fish make it home so they can return another day !!!!!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 06:49:26 AM »

pretty sure they'll pull the plug on the lake Wenatchee fishery today or tomorrow.  They monitor the numbers very closely and will close it at a moments notice if they get down to their escapement goal. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »

Yea that is true. Apparentally this was like the first opening they had for quite some while, I'm not quite sure but I think the guy told me it has been over 10 years since their last opening. Apparentally the run was a pretty fair size this year.

Marsman

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »

Wish I took pics.  But, only one of them had any spec of strawberry color on it.  The meat was all perfect.  The fish were between 5 and 7 lbs.  The only downfall to the fishery is that launching and taking out (of one launch) too up to 2 hours both ways.  It was an absolute mess at the launch.  once on the lake, fishing was relatively easy. 

Thanks for the update...  I stopped in there last year but dind't fish anywhere.  Took my wife and daughter on a sight seeing trip.  They have never been through the cascade loop or eastern Washington.  Seen a bunch of guys fishing the columbia at the creek mouth from Lake Chelan. (I think).

Cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:24:21 PM by Marsman »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »

yeah, Chelan falls can be a good place for walleye depending on what time of year it is.