Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will We Get Them, Chinooks That Is, July 30th 2008  (Read 3678 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Will We Get Them, Chinooks That Is, July 30th 2008
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:37:20 AM »

A number from this forum will boarding the Leaf Craft in about 30 minutes heading to Maple Leaf Bar to do some bar fishing. Do you think we will get anything, if so how big?

We will be fishing 4 rods with # 0 and #2 glows.

Maybe we may catch a sockeye on them too. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:14:22 PM by Rodney »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Will We Get Them, Chinooks That Is
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »

I figure Chris is due for a spring today so I say he will get one about 18lbs but will have to release it of course.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »

I'm guessing it will turn into a Pikeminnow Derby :) 4lb winner
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »

It's going to be skunkaroo if it's the Leaf craft. Hope you can find a quiet bar with all the sockeye fishermen out

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »

I ,m  guessing about a 40' Cottonwood while on the snooze  ;D ;D ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bateman

• paintings of fish and nature
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »

i was out around hope on monday and tuesday and lots of sockeye were being caught but very few springs were caught the first day and not one on the banks on tuesday. where have all the springs gone?
paintings of fish and nature:
http://www.folkart-levin.com

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »

FN opening for springs each Saturday and Sunday so you were probably fishing the void where they would have been.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »

I ,m  guessing about a 40' Cottonwood while on the snooze  ;D ;D ;D
Close, while having a snooze on the bottom of the Leaf Craft I hear a commotion and look at my Fraser King rod jumping nicely. I will let some of the other 3 in the party tell you what happened next. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »

The newbie who lost the fish can file a report.

Five things to do while barfishing...

1) Sit, wait and stare.

2) Start a fire.

3) Roast a toast.

4) Attempt to net the bell that you have lost while demonstrating in a video on how not to lose a bell.

5) Snooze.

When these five tasks are complete, one may move onto the sixth task.

Catch a pikeminnow.

And another dozen.

The hands may get smelly after awhile.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 01:39:12 AM »

Looks like you did many things but.... hook a spring.
Could I use picture number 5 as my display picture?
The Bigger The Better!

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

Well we did a whole lot of fishing, but not too much catching.  Although our captain (Chris) was disappointed that the trip did not produce a fish for us, it was still a very nice day, with lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery to keep anyone entertained.  The day pretty much went as rod described:

After getting up at 4am to pick up Rod, and drive out to Chilliwack, we met Chris at Island 22, where he had the boat all ready.  (What a great captain!!)  I noted that there were not as many boats and trailers at the launch than I had expected (there being a sockeye opening and all).   It was a short, but enjoyable ride to the bar.  We arrived at the bar, to find it totally empty...EXCELLENT!!!

We quickly set up camp, and set the lines, eager to pick up the first chinook of the season for either Rod, Shane, or myself.

Chris casting the rig out

After tying up with a size 0 glow, bar spreader, and 16 oz of lead I discovered that this rig took some skill to cast.  After a couple of birds nests....I eventually got the rig out there and we were fishing!!  By the end of the day, I was getting pretty good at it, though I was not getting quite the distance that the veteran fisher was getting (Chris).

With the lines set...and the waiting game was on...

As the hours rolled by (surprisingly quickly I might add) we busied ourselves with various tasks....I noticed that Rod was never around when it came time to fetch firewood, clear the lines of floating debris, tend the fire....hmmmmm >:(

Having had little sleep the night before, after lunch, Chris settled in for a nap.  Taking the cue from Chris, Shane also began to drift off. 

Rod was more interested in fishing for 2 inch pike minnows...so it was left to me to tend the lines, keep the fire going, and prevent our camp from blowing away.  As I was tending the fire I looked up for a second to see a branch drifting down towards our middle line....CRAP, we had just set that line...and it is probably gonna get caught up.  I figured I had enough time to finish dealing with the fire before I would be forced to deal with the line.  I had my head down when I heard Rod yelling "FISH ON".  In the back of my mind I was thinking...yup...it's that branch.  I yelled back "BRANCH!", and stood up and turned around to see that Rod was making no effort to get to the rod.  The rod was indeed bouncing so I rushed over to release the branch.  I picked up the rod, just as Chris was starting to stir from his slumber.....Chris Yelled "HIT IT!!!  HIT IT!!!".  I reeled up tight to find dead weight on the rod, no typical head shake, or long run that would be expected from a large chinook.  Sure enough, it was snagged.....or at least now it was.  Yup she was stuck nice and solid out there somewhere.  In an attempt to retrieve our lead, Chris fired up the leaf mobile, we tried to dislodge the lead from several angles...no go.  In the "post excitement" debriefing analysis, (aka: campfire chat) Chris and Rod decided that it really WAS a chinook that took the lead downstream a bit into the snag.  Rod is convinced by the bouncing of the rod that it could not have been the branch.  I was of the opinion that the branch carried the rig down into the snag...and the debate continued for most of the day.  Was it a fish....!?!?!!?!?

After that, our lines remained quiet, and we all went back to enjoying our surroundings.

It's not really like me to just sit back and relax (I'm the restless type), but I found it very relaxing and enjoyable to sit back and watch the leaves turn in the wind, turkey vultures climbing in thermals, herons fishing in the shallows, gulls feasting on salmon floating down the river, sockeye rolling in the current, seals patrolling the area, and coyotes barking at and singing to one another.  Although I secretly would LOVE to own one of those fancy big jet boats, all this nature that I had just mentioned suddenly stopped every time one of these boat roared by, the noise seemed somehow....intrusive and rude. 

Upon returning to the launch at close to 6 there were a number of boats pulling out, and putting in....not too crowded however, and Chris easily found a spot.

After briefly getting stuck at the launch, we eventually got the leaf craft out of the water, and she was sent home with Chris.

Thanks again Chris for a great day!!!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:32:07 AM by fishersak »

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:09:39 AM »

Sit, wait and stare! Yep, that about sums up barfishing. The number of times I've participated in lawn chair fishing, sleeping (about 12 times) that was exactly what occurred). Oh yeah, and lots of friendly banter and lots of looking for pretty rocks mixed in with copious amounts of beers being consumed. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but if you're looking to watch and see fish caught (not counting pike minnow) if you're fishing with 10 people and you see two springs caught, well, thats a good day. For me and my friends we prefer to sleep at home and when we leave with our rods in hand we prefer fishing action compared to peaceful dreaminess. For those that enjoy this way to fish I applaud your perseverance and patience and say, at least we'll no where you are. For me I would sooner hike all day and stalk and fish and leave empty handed, which I've done lots of times than to sit around at the senior citizens lodge and talk. Good Fishing All.   

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:20 AM »

Last time I went barfishing, 18 springs hit the rods in one day, it was an INSANE weekend...

Always exceptions...
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »

18 in one day, Barfishing. how many people, 500.lol. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »

Was a good day even though fishersak lost our lone chance at a fish. ;D

Checked the launch this evening and almost empty of trailers. Water looked good and will maybe give it a try tomorrow.