Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wooly buggars  (Read 5794 times)

Abner

wooly buggars
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

Is there a "correct" way to fish a wooly bugger? I was on the Cap last night fishing with a sinking line and an olive wooly bugger, I could get a few fish to rise but they would not take a bite. I was wondering which was the best way to bring it in, I have tried fast retrieves, slow retrieves and a combination of the two. I am so new to fly fishing that when I saw the fish rise I was to excited to take note and remember what I did  :(

Thanks, Warren

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: wooly buggars
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »

Try a color change. The rise most likely meant you got their interest but the color was off. Try black or black with a red head. Remember the Cap can have very good water clarity like the Harrison, so color can often be a determining factor.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Abner

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:11:41 AM »

Thanks for the advice Newsman, I will give it a go next time I am out there.

Warren

Fishmonger

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »

Most wooly buggers use marabou for part of the dressing.
Use a quick jerky retrieve to get the marabou to pulsate.
If you add a bead, beadchain eyes, dumbell eyes or a cone to the front of the fly, it will also rise and drop as you strip in.
With the fly doing both these actions, the fish will surely strike at it.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:47 AM »

go one size down or up on the fly....just how I would treat follows with refusals...

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:33:57 AM »

In good paced moving water I don't retrieve until the hang down. But it is also important to use a knot that allows your fly to hang correct. In slack water I use a pulse type strip, and often if I can se the fish quicken the pace as they approach to entice a strike.

SilentPhilosopher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »

I used to spend a lot of time fly fishing the Cap.  I'm not sure if this applies to you, but many people break their stripping rythm when they see coho swim up to the fly.  The majority of non-feeding coho, in dead calm water, will give up the chase if the fly suddenly slows down or stops moving (except in the rarer case where the coho is hell bent on killing the fly).  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

nutzy

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:48:02 PM »

Your retrieves sound as good as any.  Try changing color, its the first thing fish queue / attach off.