Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary Lake question  (Read 2148 times)

Rybar

St Mary Lake question
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »

guys i'm going there next weekend. What gear/lures should I bring for bass?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
St Mary Lake question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »

Tube baits: http://www.reactionbaits.com/detail.aspx?ID=171

You'll need wide gap hooks to rig these up: http://www.reactionbaits.com/detail.aspx?ID=405

The rigging is pretty simple, a small sliding weight on the main line, tie on swivel, 1.5ft of leader, then hook. Rigging of tube on hook takes some practice, best to ask the store staff to show you first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3n6l-SCkxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl607FPlwPs

For topwater, use crankbaits. Inline spinners would also work well (1/8oz).

For flies, leech patterns suspended under an indicator work well.

Focus your effort near shore.

fishingnewb

St Mary Lake question
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:04:55 AM »

Rod, can you explain the leech under an indicator in a little more detail?

Should you be anchored down to avoid drifting with the wind (the wind at St. Mary can be pretty harsh) or is drifting with a leech desirable (I didn't think a fish would take the leech if it's just suspended in the water, but then again I've never tried).

Also, do you need to measure the depth of the water and ensure that your leech is near the bottom of the lake, without actually hitting the bottom?

Do you need to provide action to the fly by stripping it in or trolling?

Do you need to add any weight to get the fly down?

Typically how deep are you fishing with the flies?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
St Mary Lake question
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:03 AM »

I was at St.Mary's last weekend. Focused on the bass and fished the shoreline. Picked up lots of smaller ones and this big one

That one I got was a black woolybugger with a bead head under an indicator. I got him right at a drop off in about 10 feet. It went from about 5 feet to 10 feet really quickly and I put it right there. You should start with keeping the fly about one foot off the bottom and if your not getting any action move it up about a foot every few mins. If their is a chop on the water it will move the leech on its own. You can also use another technique I like. Cast out the leech thats under the indicator. Let it sit for a few mins. Strip it in about one foot, let it sit for a min than strip in another foot untill it gets to the boat. I was anchored off.

When bass fishing you need to move around alot to locate fish. When trout fishing I usually double anchor but with bass fishing I will just use the single anchor and work an area that looks promising for about 10mins before moving on. I usually drift with the wind and cast towards shore, if I find an area that seems to get lots of bites thats when I anchor and work the area hard.

I might be out there this Sunday again. If your out there look for me in a 10' Spratley casting flies. I would gladly help you out if I am there.

Oh and one word of warning. When I fish an indicator I usually fish another line casting it. I left the rod with the indicator just leaned up against the seat when I got this fish. Well I nearly lost that rod. That fish took that indicator straight down and the rod almost went with it. I was quick enough to jump and grab the rod. So dont leave the rod leaning up against anything put it in a rod holder if anchored and casting another rod.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishingnewb

St Mary Lake question
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »

That's great information.  I was there last weekend over fathers day and didn't have much luck.  I knew there were fish in there, but I just didn't know how to get to them.  The wind was also killing me and I didn't have an anchor.

Anyhow, I have a few more questions, if you don't mind answering.

1)  So with strong winds, you search areas by allowing the wind/drift to take you around...  basically a slow troll under an indicator using a leech as a searching pattern.  Once you find a good spot, you measure out the depth (assuming fish finder or markers on your anchor) and adjust your indicator to be about a foot off the bottom.  Then you anchor down to stop the drift and allow the indicator to bob up and down with the chop to produce some action on the fly?  If this doesn't work, then you strip in every once in a while adding action and moving your fly to a different location.  I guess this is more of a confirmation than a question...  just want to make sure I understand the technique and the rationale.

2)  So, what happens if the chop is too strong or too weak.  If it's too strong, will the indicator bob the fly too much to a point where it's ineffective?  Also, what happens if the chop is too weak or the lake is dead calm.  Will a leech pattern and other search patterns work with no movement?

3)  Also double anchoring for trout...  I assume it's because you want no drift whatsoever.  Why is that the case?  Wouldn't a slow drift or some movement attract the trout?

Sorry for so many questions...  I'd probably learn better through trial and error, but sometimes it gets so frustrating out there and it's difficult to tell whether or not you're doing something incorrectly or if the fish just aren't there or biting.

Also, thanks for offering to help out on Sunday.  Unfortunately, I won't be out there this weekend, but I might have to take you up on that offer some other day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
St Mary Lake question
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »

Re: Anchoring. You can certainly prevent the boat from drifting by having only one anchor at one end of the boat, however it does not prevent the boat from spinning around. If spinning becomes persistent during strong wind, then it makes fishing rather frustrating. Usually we have two anchors, one at each end of the boat to prevent this.

Re: Leech pattern under the indicator. Usually I just cast it out, let it suspend and twitch the line once every 30 seconds or so. The leech can either be weighted (bead) or unweighted. If there isn't a weight to bring the leech down to the fishing depth, tie a #10 or 12 swivel onto the leader, around a foot above the fly. It's basically float fishing. Small chops on the surface in fact make fishing better, as it provides action to the fly without you doing anything.

You can certainly fish the fly on a sink tip by either slowly trolling or stripping in the line with similar success. It comes down to personal preference. I like to anchor and focus on locations where I have had success previously instead of fishing blindly by moving around constantly.

Your fishing depth depends on the water temperature. Between May and early July, we usually fish in waters that are 10' or less. After mid July when the water gets warmer, the fishing effort mainly concentrates on deeper water (10' to 20'+).

Rybar

Re: St Mary Lake question
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »

Hey guys just got back, so no chance to read this. Me and my wife did catch a few from shore. Best time was in the evening as the sun went down. We caught 5-6 small ones, one about 3 lbs and I had one 4-5 pounds on the line jumping and fighting like mad and he got off (ripped the rubber worm in half but line and hook were still intact) We caught them with wedding bands and brown 6" tube worms with jig heads using 6' spinning rods/reels (basically my trout setups) Just cast out and reel into shore reeling the lures through the weeds. The fish were surfacing in very shallow water.

I have a couple pics I could post, they are a TON of fun to catch and fight like mad.  ;D