Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fraser?  (Read 5167 times)

bushmaster

The fraser?
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:23:12 PM »

has anyone fished the fraser yet ?

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
Re: The fraser?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »

over the last couple of weeks i have seen the indians get very little springs out of the fraser.i would really hope that all of you would give the fraser a miss this year.this is the worst return on record, there should be no openings at all! it is up to ALL OF US  to make sure we dont ruin our stocks. :'(
girls suck throw rocks at them!

bushmaster

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:48 AM »

welll how about we stop the stupid @#$%^#$ boats that take all the fish and the natives netting then we would have some go fishing all year round its alll bulll

odesseus

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »

What is the expected health of the Spring run this year? If it was that bad wouldn't it just be closed outright? Although they have put a size restriction in effect; can we responsibly practice catch and release? I for one will be fishing catch and release this year unless I get hungry.

Mike D.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:05:39 PM »

over the last couple of weeks i have seen the indians get very little springs out of the fraser.i would really hope that all of you would give the fraser a miss this year.this is the worst return on record, there should be no openings at all! it is up to ALL OF US  to make sure we dont ruin our stocks. :'(

huh? its way better then it was at this time last yr...they've been slaying the fish man...we're just missing a large portion of our early 5-6 yr stock....thats pretty much it....

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »

What is the expected health of the Spring run this year? If it was that bad wouldn't it just be closed outright? Although they have put a size restriction in effect; can we responsibly practice catch and release? I for one will be fishing catch and release this year unless I get hungry.

If you want be responsible about it use a 12lb test leader and snap off the bigger fish.  C/R is NOT a good idea on fish that HAVE to be exhausted before you bring them in.

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 07:08:31 PM »

Brood Dude. area G & area F commercial troll have caught a total of 7000 Chinook so far this year, the Fraser FN fishery has netted 1200, The saltwater regs remain in tack, sooooooooooooooooooo, do you really think that Fraser River sport anglers should not fish being that last year during the same period, sport anglers on the fraser killed a reported 80 fish????? Maybe educate yourself a bit before you make posted like that one.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

how do you know how many the natives have got? is someone guessing? or are the natives submitting that they have caught that many? they have been netting since march.... i would imagine it would be more.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 04:02:48 AM »

Brood Dude. area G & area F commercial troll have caught a total of 7000 Chinook so far this year, the Fraser FN fishery has netted 1200, The saltwater regs remain in tack, sooooooooooooooooooo, do you really think that Fraser River sport anglers should not fish being that last year during the same period, sport anglers on the fraser killed a reported 80 fish????? Maybe educate yourself a bit before you make posted like that one.
Yes RA40, with the way thr river conditions are once again this year on the Fraser very few fish have and will have been taken by the recreational angler to later in the season.

hotrod

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »

Lots of fish out there fellas!  Go get'um!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »

It is funny the sporties do this to themseleves every year - they beat up each other about going out to have a day's fun (even most don't catch a thing) at the river with their one rod and one hook (yes spend tons of gas too), while the commercials and FN have their masisive nets catching them fish by the loads with the blessing of DFO. Be real.   ;)

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 03:08:12 AM »

wow you guys are right. i fell very bad about my uneducated respose. ignorance is bliss!  maybe on the next four year low we can get the dfo too give all you guys nets to that way you wont feel so left out.

IF THERE  ARE NO FISH NO ONE SHOULD BE FISHING US INCLUDED THATS THE POINT.

keep the blinders on ra40! thanks for educating all of us :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:11:35 AM by brood dude »
girls suck throw rocks at them!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »

I agree with you BD....with all the threats, fish farms, warmer temps, gravel extraction, overfishing that all seem to be having effects on at least coho, spring and sockeye stocks....people sure seem to close their eyes to it as soon as the season is "opened" by the lobbying of special interest groups. 

If people REALLY cared ....they would lobby for LESS fishing by EVERYONE.....not "as much as we can get given the circumstances".  DFO has done a poor job predicting stocks and so many people who bash DFO are so quick to use their statistics as long as they coincide with their weekend plans.

Its a joke.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »

...Its a joke.

Why yes Marmot, it IS very much a joke. A sick one at that.

Vic was right in what Area G caught this year. I was there, and am one of them. Of the number we harvested, but an extremely small percentage were Fraser fish. Yet, with the vast majority of our quota still swimming, we were yanked off the water on June 15. Why you might ask? A couple of reasons actually. First, the early summer run of springs that return to the Fraser is well below the indicator number that coincides with a "good" year. So low in fact that these fish are now listed as a Level II priority of concern. Under the Dino's own modus operandii, that directly translates to a necessity for ceasing all in-river fisheries (yes, including FN's). And at this point, those numbers are still tracking well within the "troubled" range.

For a great many years, the troll fleet has taken genetic samples of their catch. I have been directly involved with that, and from the analysis thereof, it has been shown quite conclusively that these early fish landfall in the closed area of SWVI or just into the States, then swing back up on their approach to the Big River. This means that their interception is largely avoided by the WCVI troll fleet, and this is common knowledge amongst the "management" (sic) authority.

But, the FN's won't have a lot of access to sockeye this year, so the Dino won't even consider shutting them down on springs, regardless of how poor the showings are.

And, the lobby pressure from the Recreational Sector to get us off the water was again intense this year. Worked of course, as we were gone by the time most sporties think of heading out - June 15.

Now DFO freely admits that the FN hit, the recreational hit - both in the chuck from Vic, and in-river easily and greatly exceed any impact Area G might have had on the stock in question were they allowed to continue fishing. But, as Area G is the one they can control, we're the ones that get taken off the water first. Semantics, allows them to say they're doing something, when again, in fact, they are not.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a "Sporty" too, and my summer employ is completely based on that pursuit. Just I am a tad tired of being referred to as THE problem when it ain't actually the case.
It is now to the point that recreational fisheries far surpasses the harvest removed by the troll fleet, and this trend is geared to escalate. So, when one sector lobbies intensely to get a low impact fishery shut down, then on the other hand lobbies just as intensely for access to the same diminished run they say they are concerned about, I very much have an issue with that.

Bottom Line IMHO: If the stocks are too low to allow a harvest, we ALL should be shut down to give it a chance to rebound. Too much common sense there I guess...

Nog
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:36:45 PM by IronNoggin »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »

...Its a joke.

Why yes Marmot, it IS very much a joke. A sick one at that.

Vic was right in what Area G caught this year. I was there, and am one of them. Of the number we harvested, but an extremely small percentage were Fraser fish. Yet, with the vast majority of our quota still swimming, we were yanked off the water on June 15. Why you might ask? A couple of reasons actually. First, the early summer run of springs that return to the Fraser is well below the indicator number that coincides with a "good" year. So low in fact that these fish are now listed as a Level II priority of concern. Under the Dino's own modus operandii, that directly translates to a necessity for ceasing all in-river fisheries (yes, including FN's). And at this point, those numbers are still tracking well within the "troubled" range.

For a great many years, the troll fleet has taken genetic samples of their catch. I have been directly involved with that, and from the analysis thereof, it has been shown quite conclusively that these early fish landfall in the closed area of SWVI or just into the States, then swing back up on their approach to the Big River. This means that their interception is largely avoided by the WCVI troll fleet, and this is common knowledge amongst the "management" (sic) authority.

But, the FN's won't have a lot of access to sockeye this year, so the Dino won't even consider shutting them down on springs, regardless of how poor the showings are.

And, the lobby pressure from the Recreational Sector to get us off the water was again intense this year. Worked of course, as we were gone by the time most sporties think of heading out - June 15.

Now DFO freely admits that the FN hit, the recreational hit - both in the chuck from Vic, and in-river easily and greatly exceed any impact Area G might have had on the stock in question were they allowed to continue fishing. But, as Area G is the one they can control, we're the ones that get taken off the water first. Semantics, allows them to say they're doing something, when again, in fact, they are not.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a "Sporty" too, and my summer employ is completely based on that pursuit. Just I am a tad tired of being referred to as THE problem when it ain't actually the case.
It is now to the point that recreational fisheries far surpasses the harvest removed by the troll fleet, and this trend is geared to escalate. So, when one sector lobbies intensely to get a low impact fishery shut down, then on the other hand lobbies just as intensely for access to the same diminished run they say they are concerned about, I very much have an issue with that.

Bottom Line IMHO: If the stocks are too low to allow a harvest, we ALL should be shut down to give it a chance to rebound. Too much common sense there I guess...

Nog

Could not agree more with everything you're saying.