Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Howe sound  (Read 1390 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Howe sound
« on: June 06, 2008, 06:25:48 PM »

I just saw a report on global about how the BC government approved the dumping of the  contaminated material from the old Brittania mine into the middle of Howe sound. I just could not believe that they would actually approve this. I wonder what this will do to the fish that are heading to and from the Squamish area.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Howe sound
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »

What's the point of cleaning up Britannia mine only to have the contaminated material dumped into the Sound ?  ???

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »

They need somewhere to dump this material for the new road to whistler.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »

What's the point of cleaning up Britannia mine only to have the contaminated material dumped into the Sound ?  ???
Contaminated material has been dumped into Howe Sound for decades now via the creek-how many times have you driven over that bridge and seen nasty brown crud bubbling over the rocks on it's way downstream?

As to the dumping it depends how contaminated the stuff really is-a relatively stable compound that won't leach into the water can sit on the bottom forever can't it?

I'd need a lot more background info before passing judgment here. :-X