Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Valley Is A Disaster Area.  (Read 47272 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River Valley Is A Disaster Area.
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »

I took a tour of the Chilliwack River Valley Monday evening to see if the the "tough new measures" mentioned in the article below would actually happen this May Long weekend. The area up to Tamahi looked good but from there up things were near the worse I had ever seen, as the pictures relate. Pictures were taken showing some of the sites including by the washout, "The Cedars" and by Borden Creek where the bears were getting into some of the bagged up garbage. The other pictures were on the Bench Road which was a disaster area with shotgun shell casing every where.

If we are really serious about dealing with this destruction of this area we must have a stronger support from the RCMP and the Province with both providing enough personal to deal with this stain on our environment. Sometimes I think these law enforcement people are stretched too thin to cover areas like this.

Once again, from what I observed today and what was mentioned in this recent newspaper article I have posted below it appeared to have little impact on these thoughtless campers that have no regard for our ONCE beautiful Chilliwack River Valley, shameful.

Rodney may select a few pictures to post that I sent him to show you the mess left behind.

Bracing for a busy weekend
By Jennifer Feinberg - Chilliwack Progress - May 15, 2008

They’re stepping up the pressure in the Chilliwack River Valley just in time.

The crackdown on illegal camping and overnight parking is now a year-round priority, says a coalition of enforcement agencies using Section 58, of the Forest and Range Practices Act.

With the May long weekend in sight, revellers and rowdies heading this way are being sent a strict warning from the Ch-ihl-kway-uhk Tribe, RCMP, conservation and forestry officers, the Fraser Valley Regional District, and local residents.

The coalition of stakeholders came together last spring to protect one of B.C.’s most desirable recreational areas.

Overnight parking and camping on Crown land will no longer be tolerated, and violators will be slapped with a $115 fine. Vehicles will be towed and impounded, they vow, at $100 for a tow and $17/day fee for impounds.

“Last year we saw an incredible amount of life-threatening behaviour and environmental degradation caused by illegal campers,” says Tzeachten Chief Joe Hall. “This area and its residents deserve to be protected from vandals who have no regard for the environment.

“With the Section 58 Order now active year-round, our zero-tolerance policy is now in effect.”

In August alone last year, local authorities patrolled 1,965 km of roadways and trails and recorded 1,290 license plates.

“We expect to be much tougher this year,” says Chief Hall. “Violators will figure out pretty quickly that we’re serious and that it’s a long and expensive ordeal to get back home and recover their vehicles.”

The Fraser Valley Regional District also had a warning for all campers regarding the potential for waters to rise, given the weekend forecast.

“If we experience the high temperatures predicted, people camping close to rivers and streams could see themselves floating or stranded during the rise in water levels,” said Doug Wilson, Manager of Parks for the FVRD. “Although floods are not expected, the Vedder River could look quite different on Sunday than it does today.”
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:04:57 AM by Rodney »

Spooner

Re: Chilliwack River Valley Is A Disaster Area.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »

Disgusting!!!!!
 Took a little drive up  Harrison West last week, before the long weekend.We went up about 40 km . The total disregard for the whole lake is gross.Not only the logging but how much garbage can one group actually leave at a site. It almost seems like whoever is leaving the camping garbage is also leaving there household crap. This is not isolated but seemed at almost every pull out we hit. The glass , plastic, used propane tanks old sofas..... ??? Who is showing/telling these people that this is OK!
Sorry guys ...MY FIRST RANT.. Ahhhh all better  :-[

Anyhow took home a garbage bag full, bad news is could have taken a thousand more.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »

Cajun6

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!   >:(  What ministry is tasked with the job of monitoring those camping areas? Who ever it is their doing a great job ::)

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »

it really is sickening,and really saddens me to see this kind of abuse to our land,unfortunately it is just a select few that do this and are ruining it for the people that enjoy and respect the outdoors,but like with most environment issues today there is not enough enforcement to back up all the tough talking people with all the great new laws that are in place in this area,i guess it is just cheaper this way and if it doesn't work we will just close another area down so no one can enjoy the area.without enforcement they may as well barricade chilliwack lake road right at the crossing and make the area fly in only ;) that way the only people that can enjoy these areas are the ones with all the money and are willing to pay to use it.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »

people who leave there empty cartridges behind should be shot. when we go out we always make  sure we leave the area cleaner than we found it.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!   >:(  What ministry is tasked with the job of monitoring those camping areas? Who ever it is their doing a great job ::)

Don't blame the gov, there are actually "campers" who do this!  :-[

Unreal!  Over on this side of the rockies we get the same sort of thing, with off roaders muddying up the creeks and DUI, guns, garbage.  Not sure what you all could do about it, except ban camping out side of campgrounds, wouldn't that be a shame?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:08:54 PM »

Honestly, how much more effort would it take to carry the garbage out with you ?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »

People who do litter are not penalized for it so they don't care.  Lazy idiots.   Put up a sign that says if you're camped there you will be fined, if you have garbage even TOUCHING the ground you'll be fined, and hit them with the maximums.  Stupid people learn fast when you hit them where it hurts.  Then in the face just for good measure ;)

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

Chris: I think the City and whoever else looks after the areas in question have to come up with a plan to eliminate this sort of disgusting activity. For instance, during the July long weekend, why don't RCMP along with the Parks people exercise some zero tolerance for the yahoos who want to rip up the land, and throw their garbage all over the place. Designated campsites should be allotted and no illegal camping allowed. People were given the opportunity to act like responsible adults and because they want to act like children they should be treated as such. License plates along with ID information should be taken. If the morons, start shooting up the place or are drunk in a public place then they should be arrested or given the boot. I mean enough is enough, it is time for the law abiding folk to stand up and make their voices heard.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »

Chris: I think the City and whoever else looks after the areas in question have to come up with a plan to eliminate this sort of disgusting activity. For instance, during the July long weekend, why don't RCMP along with the Parks people exercise some zero tolerance for the yahoos who want to rip up the land, and throw their garbage all over the place. Designated campsites should be allotted and no illegal camping allowed. People were given the opportunity to act like responsible adults and because they want to act like children they should be treated as such. License plates along with ID information should be taken. If the morons, start shooting up the place or are drunk in a public place then they should be arrested or given the boot. I mean enough is enough, it is time for the law abiding folk to stand up and make their voices heard.
Lots of e mails and phone calls flying around about this issue today which is good. Just got a call from the Chilliwack Times and it looks like they will be asking some questions to those in charge of this and other areas. This hopefully will help in bringing things under control, as it has been severely lacking for way to long.

One way all of us can help is by talking to anyone we know that has some influence on such matter. Posts like many of you have made above helps greatly too as I know many media people and government officials read this and other forums.

Thanks for making them and hopefully more will too.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »

I'd like to know who is responsible for the areas outside city limits, I know this is a problem of jurasdiction...

Anyone have an idea of who to pin this on, or who to write letters to?

Right now, I blame the RCMP... So much for their so-called action plan of zero tolerance, what a joke!!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »

I'd like to know who is responsible for the areas outside city limits, I know this is a problem of jurisdiction...

Anyone have an idea of who to pin this on, or who to write letters to?

Right now, I blame the RCMP... So much for their so-called action plan of zero tolerance, what a joke!!

Cheers,
Nicole
This area is under the Fraser Valley Regional District but I believe the enforcement duties fall under the jurisdicton of the RCMP or the Provincial CO service. As I said before there is just not enough feet on the ground to do the job that needs to be done.

Barry Penner I am sure would like to hear from you and maybe your friend Mr Forbes ;D would like to add his comments to him also, as a starter. ;D ;D

nosey

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »

It's tough to place blame here, but ultimately if everyone keeps voting for the government that promises the lowest taxes you have to realize that that is going to mean less money for Parks people, conservation officers and police patrols. This behavior is discusting, but public money has to be used to combat it, the hooligans and yahoos doing this stuff are not going to be changed unless someone takes the initiative to police it. When push comes to shove it is the politicians controlling the purse strings that must take the brunt of the blame, and we as citizens for being fool enough to elect them and then re-elect them again. Write your MLA's, let them know that you'd like to see a little money being spent on someplace with trees other than Whistler.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »

I would like to see a zero tolerance on drinking in public areas. Too many vandalisms and hooligans can be attributed to alcohol. A young man was killed in Cultus Lake over the weekend because some guy thought he was a tough guy fueled up with alcohol.