Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: repairing sink tip fly line  (Read 2510 times)

vulture9

repairing sink tip fly line
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:22:10 PM »

Recently looked at my sink tip line and it seems to have some chaffing.Most likely due to drifting around rocks.Just wondering if you can repair this type of damage? I went to Berry's but the guy there said that they don't just sell single tips. And that using a differrent tip wouldn't work so good ie: 10 ft tip compared to the 15 ft tip that came with the multi tip system. Any info would be appreciated.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: repairing sink tip fly line
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:56:37 PM »

Rio makes single 15' tips that are for sale in all different line wts. and sink rates.  All fly fishing stores carry them. They cost about $25 a piece.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »

Replacing it is no problem. You can buy the premade tips from companies in various sink rates and line weights or you can go with your own custom lengths and rates. I know M&Y and Reaction have tips for sure and Reaction can make you up some custom tips from their bulk spools t-14/t-8 etc.

Also , if you're line is just getting beat up near the tip where you attach your leader you can always just cut the bad part back and tie on a new peice of mono with a nail knot and perfection loop. Many people customize their tips in different lengths on average from 8' to 15' so even if you buy a new one you could potentially salvage your old one and still use it in some situations.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:09:33 PM by ffonly »
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:25:18 PM »

Like it's been said, it's no problem using either a different length or type of tip. ANy good fly shop will not only have pre-made tapered tips, but you can also buy bulk sink line in different sink rates and make your own, or get the shop to do it for you.

Best guys for it out that way are the folks aty Michael and Youngs (M&Y) in surrey. Now that's a fly shop ;D