Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sean Avery Superpest  (Read 5616 times)

dflyer

Sean Avery Superpest
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:56:31 AM »

Is Avery the all time superpest???  I could not believe my eyes when he was trying to screen Brodeur, I thought it looked ridiculous but it did work and the guy is effective in his role.  I wonder if the league will do anything about those sort of tactics. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Sean Avery Superpest
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »

It certainly was original. Ron McLean and Kelly Hrudey were calling for 10 minute misconduct for that type of behaviour.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »

It's not illegal and I'm not sure it would be effective (other than the shock factor).
Most likely he'd get a slapshot in the back of the leg.

fyrslyer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »

its an original play i liked it

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

I thought that play was hilarious and better yet it worked. Nothing can be done as there are no rules against it. I don't think the league should so anything and, if guys want slap-shots in the back, thy should be allowed to keep doing it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »

Not anymore. The NHL passed a new law prohibiting Avery's actions.

dflyer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:25:39 PM »

I was looking forward to the shot in the back of the legs thing....................

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »

So was I  ;D

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »

Not anymore. The NHL passed a new law prohibiting Avery's actions.
Really? I'd be interested in a link to the story...

edit: I found it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080415.MAKI15/TPStory/Sports/columnists
"An unsportsmanlike-conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

Wow, that's pretty bold.
Is what Detroit's Holmstrom does really that different?
Sure he's not facing the goalie, but he is continually bumping the goalie, moving in and out of the crease and his role is specifically to interfere with the goalie.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:07:49 AM by typhoon »

dflyer

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »

I agree with that.  Allot of goaltenders get interfered with but I think because Avery is such a #$%@ disturber ( and would not take long before the situation deteriorated) that they wanted to clarify that rule pretty quick.  Also, if a player with some sort of class to him was asked to stop what he was doing, he probably would but Avery is not that player and would continue to make the whole situation look ridiculous.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »

im not a big fan of avery... he must be the most hated agitator in the league.... but ill say one thing.. he can play pretty good hockey unlike some other pests.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:39:45 AM »

How many people liked Matt Cooke or like Alex Burrows?
That's kind of the definition of a pest - you hate them when they're not on your team.
Personally I think Burrows has good skills and could be a much better player than just a pest.

dflyer

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »

I really like Burrows.  He has some finish.  I was not upset to see Cooke leave the team either.  You can only have so many of those types of players on a team.  I also liked Ruutu, i think they like him in Pittsburgh.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 09:19:33 PM »

I also liked Ruutu, i think they like him in Pittsburgh.

Especially when he scored the winning goal tonight.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 05:17:18 AM »

i have to admit that Avery does have some talent and he does whatever it takes to win,but there is a fine line between being a pest and helping his team to win and being a total idiot,time and time again this guy crosses that line,both with his mouth and some of his on ice anttics,this guy IMO,is as classless as they come,look no further than his post game comments about Brodeur being a fat old man when Avery was asked about not shaking Brodeurs hand after the series was over,i wouldn't shake Avery's hand either,sooner or later this guy will get what he has coming to him.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.