Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the worst reel you've ever owned?  (Read 14490 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: What's the worst reel you've ever owned?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »

assorted Hardy's (St John, Marquis and Golden Prince) from the 80s. Two problems - pawl rivets and the spool seizing on the spindle. No longer have the St John. The Golden Prince has been fine after replacing 2 spindles in the 1st 2 years of ownership. The Marquis still develops loose rivets - I don't use it much.

I also have a Loop CLW - close to 10 years and the frame came apart. I glued it back together with a slow set epoxy. So far so good.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

charles

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »

there was a re-call on the corsair before.  There seems to be drag and noise related re-call.  They will give you credit, or exchange to a new reel equal to the corsair.

I helped a couple of friends to get credit as well as exchange to another one (forgot the model name that shimano sent).

As for credit, I believe it was $50 for the silver and $100 for the gold corsair.  Maybe the other way around.  It was a while ago and I don't think they are doing that anymore.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

My Okuma baitcaster was the worst, reel came off the seat fighting a fish on the Vedder. Okuma replaced the reel, new reel lasted a week before it started having gear problems.

for gear reels I only use Shimano now but they are mostly collecting dust since I got my Islander.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »

Ross Momentum.  Drag was inconsistent and screeched on both I owned, spindle flexes letting the spool rub the frame.  Ross was easy to deal with when I sent it back, but the drag problem returned with both reels.  Unacceptable level of performance for $600 range pricetags.  Now fishing Bauers, much better.  Bauer drags are the smoothest of anything I've tried.  Customer service is very good.

cohoaaron

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »

What do you guys think about the corvalus?

TacoChris

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

Ross Momentum.  Drag was inconsistent and screeched

This sounds like my Bauer M2 superlite. The original spool does this.  Sent it in but they just sent it back with more lube and the problem continued next trip. Found that the spare spool I had bought but not used works better. Obviously it is the original spool that has a problem. I will try again with more detailed instructions.

spoiler

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »

I don't know what the worst reel I have owned because when I was young I owned a lot of cheap junkers. What I do know is that in 1976 I was given an ABU 6500C for my birthday and 37 years later it is still going strong after catching 1000's of fish. The new Abu's can't hold a candle to the 1970's models that still had brass gears. My advise is to go on Ebay and look for any Abu's in good condition that were built in that era or earlier and I think you will find that they will outlast any of the current levelwinds.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »

Ross Momentum.  Drag was inconsistent and screeched

This sounds like my Bauer M2 superlite. The original spool does this.  Sent it in but they just sent it back with more lube and the problem continued next trip. Found that the spare spool I had bought but not used works better. Obviously it is the original spool that has a problem. I will try again with more detailed instructions.

They only chatter if you don't maintain them.  For $35 you can upgrade to the newer spool-side drag material, its beige (as opposed to grey) and have the 2 roller clutch upgraded to a much stronger 4 roller clutch.  Make sure you're using the oil Bauer suggest.  With maintenance, Bauer drags outperform all the other high end drags I've owned... Ross, high end Sage, Islander.

The Ross Momentum surged bad- full drag to almost freespool and back again.  Owned two of them, returned to Ross, they fixed the first one, but the surging came back, had them both serviced again, then sold them.  Lost a few springs and steelhead because of it.  There are better reels for the money.  I don't mean to bash Ross, their customer service is great and lots of guys I know like them, but steer clear of the Momentum's carbon fibre drag. 

I now own a Bauer carbon fibre drag (CFX spey) in addition to several cork Bauers and the CFX drag is butter.  Taken a couple big fish on it so far and been 100% satisfied with the performance of the said reel.  The Bauer is $100 cheaper too.  Nicer fit and finish too IMO.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:26:42 PM by Matt »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »

Love my click-pawl spey and fly reels as well as my centerpins.

Simple internally and almost nothing that can go wrong unless you drop and bend it which wouldn't be the reels fault.

Hasport

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »

Trophy Winterrun centerpin reel........seized up after 3 casts at the Chehalis. Though I still believe that I got a lemon.

Silex-user

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »

I don't know what the worst reel I have owned because when I was young I owned a lot of cheap junkers. What I do know is that in 1976 I was given an ABU 6500C for my birthday and 37 years later it is still going strong after catching 1000's of fish. The new Abu's can't hold a candle to the 1970's models that still had brass gears. My advise is to go on Ebay and look for any Abu's in good condition that were built in that era or earlier and I think you will find that they will outlast any of the current levelwinds.

X2 on older ABU,  I have 1975 Garcia ABU 6000C best baitcasting reel I ever own. I also, have custom builted ABU 5000C and 4500C made by late Mike (Mike's Reel Repair).

Silex-user