Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the worst reel you've ever owned?  (Read 14493 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: What's the worst reel you've ever owned?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »

i would have to say the pflueger trion

What was wrong with the trion? So far mine has performed well.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »

I don't gear fish any more, but.......

A few years back I bought a Okuma  reel for salmon fishing in the Fraser, first day out, it was so full of silt from the line being reeled in that it would only cast 1/4 the distance it did at the start of the day.

Nice reel, but for the silty Fraser, the machining tolerances are WAY to close.

Just my 2 cents

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Sandhead

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »

See sig line for details!

Sam, I'm interested in knowing more about your experiences with Okuma. I have two Okuma Classics that i use for sturgeon fishing that i picked up as part of a  relatively cheap setup. Been planning on upgrading the reels to shimano tld20's... 
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 07:24:48 PM »

The loop CLW...

Bought one for Tomas two years ago, and it's given us nothing but problems... Glue and composite don't seem to bond well. We were on a remote river and the two halves of the spool came apart...

Backing EVERYWHERE!  It was a nightmare.

The reel now has so much crazy glue holding it together its not funny.

:(
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »

first off, the the shimano reel you are talking about is not ment for, lets call it, force feeding fraser river springs.you know the ones that make us proud, good fishermen.not to mention all the sand blowing around and not properly taking care of your reels like oiling all the time and after use backing off you drag

phatwop

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »

a zebco, about 30 years ago when i didn't know any better.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 07:08:21 AM »

40 lb braid attached to a 2 x 4 used to catch carp in the Grand river in Ontario!I was 10 at the time and we were poor.
Riverman

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »

corsair

The Shimano Corsair was the first level wind reel I ever used, thought it was the greatest thing in the world, that was until I actually hooked a decent sized salmon lol.... found out that a good drag DOES make a big difference, the Corsair has a terrible drag that is anything but smooth !! lost many fish because of that... after about 6 months of use it started making really funny noises everytime I would cast.. got it serviced, lasted about two days before the noises now joined by clunks came back :) followed by peices of the level wind falling into the river lol... needless to say I bought the Calcutta and have never had any problems !! My Corsair has lived in the bottom of a cardboard box for the last 5 years... I guess one day I may try and peice it back together and give it to some poor unfortunate soul  ;D ;D ;D
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

phatwop

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

Zebco because a family member bought it for me when i was a kid and a Quantum which I bought once, it crapped out within a month.

wonder

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

Bought a low profile Abu bait cast reel for my dad to fish bass/trout thing lasted a week. My big Abu on the other hand is a great reel 3 rough seasons on it and its still strong as new

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »

any of the Walmart specials I bought so many years ago when I couldn't afford better. I had most of the reels blow up on me and also the rods  >:(

Corsair also was horrible enough I just tossed it into the Fraser one day after my rod blew up on a sturgeon  :(

Sage 1600 series fly reel. have they ever heard of a disc drag that has more range then fully on or fully off !!! wtf ? !

since I learned these few lessons every reel I have owned or own performs exactly how it should or excels my expectation.

Buy quality and you will actually save money over buying crap each year
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »

Quantum for me as well - learned my lesson on cheap reels - never again!

big spring

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »

Abu c4,use one season on Fraser ,gear was worn out,took it for services ,replaced with c3 parts.fish for 3times on veddar ,worm gear also worn out.

lapa

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

Abu c4,use one season on Fraser ,gear was worn out,took it for services ,replaced with c3 parts.fish for 3times on veddar ,worm gear also worn out.

:-\ :-\ I still have two ABU 6500C3 (12 and 10 years old). Didn't have any issues on river. Just doing regular maintenance.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:39:35 PM by lapa »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »

when I used to bottom bounce for hours and hours each outing I would burn out a pawl/wormgear every season. all those super long casts moving at high speeds then reeling it all in is going to wear things out, its to be expected. Now that I usually don't have to fish more then an hour to get my 2 sockeye my pawl/wormgear is going on its 5th year. My BBing Abu's are not used for any other type of fishing. My wife has an upgraded Abu as her river reel which also gets used by friends at times has not needed any work since I had it upgraded 6-7yrs ago.

If you remember to CLEAN out your wormgear after every few trips you shouldn't be burning out the pawl so often doing regular float fishing. Take care of your gear and it will be there to work for you every time. Use gun cleaner as it lifts the debris so you can wipe it away OR what I do is take the reel apart and soak it and clean it so it looks new and then re lube it once its back in the reel. It pays to know how to take your reel apart and fix it.

example - my dads very old Abu 5001 stopped reeling in one morning on the river. I gave him my rod to fish while I sat down to see if I could fix it. I took my hand towel and laid it out (you don't want to be dropping/losing parts in the gravel) and proceeded to look it over. What I found was a broken spring that re engages the spool. I went and got my pliers and his and stretched a bit of the spring straight so I could make a new hook on the end. put the reel back together and Voila, that reel is still working now and its going into its 5th season with my modified spring.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/