Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canucks douse Flames  (Read 6959 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Canucks douse Flames
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »

That was a great second period...4 unanswered goals. Should have been more!  Linden was johnny on the spot a couple of the times...the first one was an especially nice goal.  Hopefully they'll bring the same enthusiasm to the third period.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Canucks douse Flames
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »

I just hope they don't go into a defensive shell in the third. So far so good.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:59:16 PM »

I just hope they don't go into a defensive shell in the third. So far so good.

Ditto.  Good to see the Canucks finishing their checks tonight.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »

its amazing what a little passion and maybe some desperation can do,finally  some physical contact,hopefully they can build on the positives in this game and come out and getter done in the final three games,if they want to win they have to be a physical force or else they are done.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

salmon river

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:39:45 AM »

Plus the Flames played last night at home against Oilers and had to travel, so they may not of had their legs.

But whatever, Canucks have basically always sucked, yeah they fluked out in 82 and 94 but still no cup in what almost 40 years now, just as bad as the leafs too. It is always next year with the Canucks but next year never seems to come Some will say they play 'entertaining' 'exciting' Hockey but, whatever, it is time for them to take the next step and become a winner. Exciting and entertaining just no longer cuts it in my books. But I don't see them winning the cup for a very long time as they seem to be in no hurry to change things. But the 'suckers' will continue to fill the stands and pay for PPV and until that changes, nothing with the on ice product will.

Funny how 3 of the 4 WHA teams that Joined the NHL in the very early 80's have won the cups and Edmonton won 5 and Quebec now Colorado won 2, The former New England Whalers now Carolina won one. Only Winnipeg/Phoenix have not.

Even the NY Islanders who cam in after the Canucks have won 4.... So why haven't we won any?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »

Even the NY Islanders who cam in after the Canucks have won 4.... So why haven't we won any?

In one word...Scouting.  Teams that do poorly always look at the players, coach, or GM when it comes to poor results but you can only do so much with what you have.  GM's rely on scouting and who to choose in the draft.  Vancouver is basically where they are because of lousy draft picks and some bad luck.  It goes all the way back to the coin toss between us and Buffalo on who would get Gilbert Pereault. We lose, get Dale Talon, and it goes on from there.  The scouts have blown it BIG time when telling the GM who to choose.  The list of guys that Vancouver has passed on would absolutely blow your mind!  Several of them are the best players on their respective teams.  Detroit is where they are because of their superb scouting system!!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »

Sometimes you have to just love the sport of hockey I guess, Maybe we have never won a cup but I still get excited everyday there is a game !! it would be great for them to put an amazing run together and bring home the big trophy... but if they don't I will still watch simply because I love the game and our home team !! Salmon River, to me it seems as though you aren't a fan of hockey ... too bad for you I guess, if all you care about is a cup at the end of the year then maybe you need to find another sport to watch
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »

No matter what happens I'll stick with my Canucks through thick or thin.  As far as I'm concerned only a true fan should have the right to criticize the team because they're the ones that have the most knowledge of the team and no matter how hard a time we may give them at times we'll continue to hope for the best and support them.  We'll make up the best excuses for their poor play, as well.  There's no such thing as a bandwagon for the true fan!

salmon river

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »

Salmon River, to me it seems as though you aren't a fan of hockey ... too bad for you I guess

I am but never really ever was a Canucks fan though. Montreal has always been my team since i could walk plus they are the greatest franchise ever in Canada. ;)

Sure there is excitement for a game but how much longer are you going to put up with their drought and hell after tonight they are one point out of a playoff spot.

The Canucks in my opinion have always been a pretty poorly run organisation.  One would also think with the salary cap things would even out a bit but not with the Canucks. But I guess over the years canuck fans  have learnt not to have  high expectations? So when they don't perform as well as they should be it is not disappointing?  i do know the canucks have a lot of "Band Wagon' jumpers too.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »

Salmon River, to me it seems as though you aren't a fan of hockey ... too bad for you I guess

The Canucks in my opinion have always been a pretty poorly run organisation.  One would also think with the salary cap things would even out a bit but not with the Canucks. But I guess over the years canuck fans  have learnt not to have  high expectations? So when they don't perform as well as they should be it is not disappointing?  i do know the canucks have a lot of "Band Wagon' jumpers too.

You must have a short memory!  Don't you remember what team is was that won The Northwest Division last year with a franchise record for points?  Not to mention...or maybe I will....that  Vigneault won the Jack Adams for Coach of the Year, Luongo was runner up for the Vesna, and also set a team and conference record for wins.  All this with a team that was picked to finish last in its division last year.  Who knows, if the flu wasn't running rampart through the dressing room during it's run with the Ducks (all games being won by a single goal) what could have happened.  If the Nuks don't make it to the dance this year it will be only by a point or two...it's not like they were blown out!   At least our fans don't outrightly "boo" our players at the games when things get tough like they do in Habville , a city thats been known to have a very large bandwagon themselves.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »

Well Salmon river, since you are a fan of the Habs then you are ok in my book ;) as long as you aren't a fan of the Laughs that is :)
cheers TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »

Well Salmon river, since you are a fan of the Habs then you are ok in my book ;) as long as you aren't a fan of the Laughs that is :)
cheers TH
But I am. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »

cheers TH
But I am. ;D ;D ;D

Are you now a Habs fan now that the Laughs are eliminated ? As a byline, I was watching the sports on a Toronto tv station and they had an interview with Mats Sundin. Says he won't decide on his future until he sees what the Laughs are going to do in the off season.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »

cheers TH
But I am. ;D ;D ;D

Are you now a Habs fan now that the Laughs are eliminated ? As a byline, I was watching the sports on a Toronto tv station and they had an interview with Mats Sundin. Says he won't decide on his future until he sees what the Laughs are going to do in the off season.
Hard for me to comment at this time as hoping for my interview for the GM job. ;D ;D I am amazed I have not been contacted yet but #13 is supposed to be fishing out this way shortly so I hope he will put in a good word  for me. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »

Can't hurt having you as GM. God knows the Leafs have tried everything the past 41 years..... ;D