Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: something similar to CORE for fishing  (Read 5122 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: something similar to CORE for fishing
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »

Bwi Bwi, I agree, killing other lifeforms for entertainment is not ethical.  Thats why I EAT what i kill, on the rare occasion that I do kill. 

Again you confuse testing with education.  Look at stats about people who take "young drivers" vs. people who do not if you choose to use motor vehicle licensing as an analogy.

My definition of education is not exclusively through testing, I never stated this, you are making assumptions...just administering a test won't teach anything.  Read my response again and you will note that I did not say that people taking kids out need to be licensed, they just need to have been educated and passed a "core" program at some point...making them "licensable".  Do you think its OK for somebody who doesn't know a lick about species ID, c&r, or how to properly read the regs to take a 5 year old out fishing and retain incorrect species, fish with barbs, etc?  What makes it ok????  Just because the kid is 5?  Irresponsible IMO.  I don't think a 5 year old needs a license, they need responsible guidance until they can learn proper angling methods and themselves be licensed.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »

Testing will not accomplish what you are striving for.  What anyone wants to do with the knowledge it's totally up to them after exam. That holds true everywhere. They can still choose to be ignorant like some irresponsible drivers, let it be young, or mature by sunburn, and seniors.  For young fishermen, there are programs to educate them that's already in place.  People can be educated, tested all day long, but until they realize by breaking these rules they'll be penalized, these 'unacceptable' action will continue.  So instead of throwing all those funding away into more test, more education material, why not have everyone involving in fishing activity to sign a waver that they have received the fishing regulation material and by the time of fishing, they'll have read and understand the regulation.  So on the flow they can't act dumb, makes enforcing easier.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »

Oh and the ethical issue, try to tell the Catholic Father living a few doors down the street, fishing/hunting is ethical.   

I am a baptized Catholic and so was my father and his father before him,fishing and hunting has allways been a big part of who we are and allways will be,i cant believe that a simple post about possible education regarding one of our precious resources has someone throwing out the religious card whats net,the race card .give your head a shake.

yes enforcement needs to be enhanced but educating the users of our resource would not be a bad thing,in the hunting regulations an adult over 19 that has taken the core and passed can take a youth hunting  and that youth does not have to have taken any course and can harvest an animal under the adults license,so there is a precedent that has allready been set for this kind of issue. so why wouldn't it work for fishing as well.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

bopper

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »

I think the BIG reason is....

You can RELEASE an incorrectly caught fish/wrong species.  C&R is a wee bit tougher in hunting.

Not much tougher......I belong to the Okanagan Shoot And Release Club....our motto: "Conservation Through Incompetence".

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:11:33 PM »

Testing will not accomplish what you are striving for.  What anyone wants to do with the knowledge it's totally up to them after exam. That holds true everywhere. They can still choose to be ignorant like some irresponsible drivers, let it be young, or mature by sunburn, and seniors.  For young fishermen, there are programs to educate them that's already in place.  People can be educated, tested all day long, but until they realize by breaking these rules they'll be penalized, these 'unacceptable' action will continue.  So instead of throwing all those funding away into more test, more education material, why not have everyone involving in fishing activity to sign a waver that they have received the fishing regulation material and by the time of fishing, they'll have read and understand the regulation.  So on the flow they can't act dumb, makes enforcing easier.

sigh.....I'm going to try one last time to get you to understand: I'm not saying "testing will accomplish" anything.  The bottom line is the people that fish and "enjoy" the outdoors unethically were never properly educated, be it by their parents, the system or otherwise:  Ignorance is not a "choice" in this case it is a state of being.  Putting tools in place to help prevent this ignorance is the first step in conservation of ANYTHING!  I honestly can't believe that people in this day and age are still thinking retroactively about issues like this.  Have we learned nothing?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »

Marmot you brought up test like CORE for hunting should also be done for fishing.  If testing will not accomplish anything why have it?  Are you getting this?  Test is therefore not the way to go. 

Searun, if catch quota goes under a licensed adult, the under age fishing group would always be accompanies by "mature" fisherman.  However, current system allows under age fishing group to get their own license "no cost" so they can be fishing own their own or with someone that's not licensed.  So it is different from hunting.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »

Marmot you brought up test like CORE for hunting should also be done for fishing.  If testing will not accomplish anything why have it?  Are you getting this?  Test is therefore not the way to go. 

Searun, if catch quota goes under a licensed adult, the under age fishing group would always be accompanies by "mature" fisherman.  However, current system allows under age fishing group to get their own license "no cost" so they can be fishing own their own or with someone that's not licensed.  So it is different from hunting.

OK Bwi Bwi I see where the confusion is arising.  CORE is a program that people intending to go hunting participate in that helps prepare them by teaching conservation/ethics, bla bla bla.   The test is just the formality at the end that allows you to purchase a license.  Again, its more about the education.  I should have been more clear that it was not "just" a test... but in the future, before you argue against something so vehemently maybe its a good idea to get a little information yourself.  I'm SURE if you took the program you would see the merit of something like this for fishing, albeit more refined and not as I've said a "token" test at the end of it.  If it were solely a "test", I would agree with you 100%, it would not be worthwhile.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 09:42:52 PM »

Yes it is different than hunting but why cant the same idea be used to educate new fishermen,albeit as marmot said in a more refined manner and a few minor changes to suit the resource,if fishing ever was to go to a core system of educating new people  to the fishery i can guarantee  that the course would be quite similar to what is being done for hunting,IE ethics ,safety,equipment,species identification,etc
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.