Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: something similar to CORE for fishing  (Read 5123 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
something similar to CORE for fishing
« on: March 29, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »

I just took my CORE exam for hunting and while it was too easy IMO (any idiot can get one), it sure made me think we could really use something like this for angling.  Most of it is common sense but like I said I think there is room for some more difficult questions, especially ethics based ones, and species identification.

That said, it covers conservation, ethics, laws, species identification and other important concepts common to both hunting and fishing.  WHY do we not have to do something like this prior to getting a fishing license?  We currently have nothing in place to educate new anglers properly on methods of catch and release fishing, species identification (other than the "minimal" ID training in the regs), proper angling ethics, the laws surrounding native fisheries, ANYTHING.  All we get is a regulations handbook each year that the majority of people skim through to find what they need to find on a particular river. 

Has this sort of thing been proposed before?  Maybe Chris G you may know something about this?  I'm curious how many people would be in favor of a more stringent and education based licensing system.....and if not, WHY NOT?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: something similar to CORE for fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »

I think the BIG reason is....

You can RELEASE an incorrectly caught fish/wrong species.  C&R is a wee bit tougher in hunting.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »

It's also pretty hard to kill someone with a fishing rod. Same can't be said for a gun.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »

oh it can be done
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:10:17 PM »

I'm all for it,
Some form of education before you get your license.
I'm not talking anything intense,but some people can't read a synopsis ::)
Been boating for 20 yrs and NOW they want me to get a license. :D
Rando
The Fishin Musician

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »

oh it can be done

Lol yes it is, simply "accidentally" hook someone you dislike in the jugular vein and pull, I almost accidentally did this to my friend after my hook came flying back when I lost my fish (hook snagged his neck, weights were still going and helped with the pulling part and gave him a nice gash), there was blood everywhere  :-\ Although using a szie 2/0 hook for springs when it happened im sure it can be done with a size 2 hook for steelhead  ;D ;D

north

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »

More beaurocracy and fees.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:07:30 AM »

Not only adults fish you know.  Try telling a 5 year old, no exam no fishing.

Colorado Grinner

• never enough
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »

Are you serious?How many 5 year olds fish alone or with only other 5 year old?                                                                                                                                             I think thats a pretty simple detail to iron out!...Maybe exams for 12 years and older,still no fee license until 16years of age.Just an Idea.
I,m all for the Idea.The neglect of basic education is witnessed all the time on the river,on the lake,and on the chuck.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »

It would cost in the millions to set up! the money would be better used in habitat,and enhancement.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

Are you serious?How many 5 year olds fish alone or with only other 5 year old?                                                                                                                                             I think thats a pretty simple detail to iron out!...Maybe exams for 12 years and older,still no fee license until 16years of age.Just an Idea.
I,m all for the Idea.The neglect of basic education is witnessed all the time on the river,on the lake,and on the chuck.

You got to be kidding.  From what you're saying the kids guardian has to have fishing license, and also what you're insinuating is some people can fish without the proper knowledge?  ::)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 09:38:42 PM »

I think the BIG reason is....

You can RELEASE an incorrectly caught fish/wrong species.  C&R is a wee bit tougher in hunting.

Yes you can, if you know how to release it properly and know how to properly identify the fish you brought to hand.  You'd be surprised how many people out there don't have a clue how to do either one.

And JBJ, how is education similar to beaurocracy?  Please enlighten.  As well, if the fees were put back into the education program or into habitat enhancement, whats the problem?  I'd gladly pay more licensing fees if it went to either one.  The beaurocracy flag gets waved around all the time but the people complaining about it don't realize that without management we would have NO fish ANYWHERE anymore.  Its time to wake up and realize that we live in a society that will take advantage of every last opportunity until it is dried up unless it is regulated (unless you know a better way).

Dion, the CORE program more about conservation, ethics, survival and like i said many other concepts common to hunting and fishing.  It's not focused on firearms.  Firearms safety obviously has a part in it as well but it is covered more extensively when you get your Possession and acquisition license.

BwiBwi, whats wrong with a 5 year old having to be with somebody who has been "properly" educated and licensed??  Shouldn't a person who has properly learned how to fish (ethically, also) be providing guidance?

We've all seen the garbage, we've all seen poor ethics, we've all seen people take more than the limit.  Wouldn't you guys agree that the first step in preventing any of this would be properly educating people?  Much more than this would cost to implement gets pissed away every year by our government.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

BwiBwi, whats wrong with a 5 year old having to be with somebody who has been "properly" educated and licensed??  Shouldn't a person who has properly learned how to fish (ethically, also) be providing guidance?

We've all seen the garbage, we've all seen poor ethics, we've all seen people take more than the limit.  Wouldn't you guys agree that the first step in preventing any of this would be properly educating people?  Much more than this would cost to implement gets pissed away every year by our government.

Yes it is wrong.  Why should everyone in the family or friend get a fishing license?  Government is trying to encourage fishing/outdoor activity, and not hinder it.  You think a test will change people from not leaving garbage behind?  Everyone finishing kindergarten has been thought to respect other people's property, be nice to others, proper social engagement...  You and I both know what goes on out there.  There's enough education, but not enough enforcement.

Oh and the ethical issue, try to tell the Catholic Father living a few doors down the street, fishing/hunting is ethical.   ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »

Yes it is wrong.  Why should everyone in the family or friend get a fishing license?  Government is trying to encourage fishing/outdoor activity, and not hinder it.  You think a test will change people from not leaving garbage behind?  Everyone finishing kindergarten has been thought to respect other people's property, be nice to others, proper social engagement...  You and I both know what goes on out there.  There's enough education, but not enough enforcement.

Oh and the ethical issue, try to tell the Catholic Father living a few doors down the street, fishing/hunting is ethical.   ;)

Who said that everyone in the family, or friends should get a fishing license?  If a 5 year old goes fishing somebody who knows the ropes should be supervising.  Is there a point even arguing with that???  You wouldn't necessarily NEED to be licensed per se, you would have already completed your "fishing core" program and have an "angler number" or something like that that stays with you for life. 

You say there is enough education....there is NONE.  Any idiot can go purchase a license, rod, reel, hooks, and worms and go out there and start doing damage, with nothing other than a set of regs that stays in the glovebox or worse yet gets thrown out.  Sorry, but "none" and "enough" are not the same thing.  I agree wholeheartedly with you that enforcement is at best shoddy and toothless, but enforcement is something that by nature happens after the fact.  Why do people seem so reluctant to do something proactive?  Too much time out of your day?

And, BwiBwi, faith based "ethics" are not ethics at all and are irrelevant.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 05:34:04 PM »

Really Marmot killing other lifeforms for entertainment in itself already is NOT ethical.  The only question is it legal.  Now if your arguement holds any truth about testing, try motor license.  How many people breaks the law?  Hey and those tests is not just symbolical.

You said it yourself, anyone taking a kid out need to be educated, and your definition of educated is through testing.  So anyone in the family or friends want to take the kids out will need a license.  So again, why should everyone get a license?