Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jig fishing for Steelhead on the Chedder  (Read 4821 times)

Morty

Jig fishing for Steelhead on the Chedder
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »

I'm looking for advice about how to catch Steelhead with jigs on the Chilliwack River system.  Anyone have any advice on colours, leader length, techniques that have worked for you?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 06:45:10 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Jig fishing for Steelhead on the Chedder
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »

I was fishing beside someone using something similar to this picture. Never used anything like this before but this guy caught one with it. He told me that after 50 times out, this was the first steelhead he hooked this year. He was so exciting that he tried to bring it up too quickly and it got off.

Morty

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »

Thanks Ghost Fish - I took a read through your reference and it's mostly about how to tie my own.  I did see the paragraph about floating them.

You too CohoMan - I appreciate your sharing!
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »

I tie my jig to a 18-20" leader onto a inline sinker and then float.

Baitcaster

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:04 PM »

Jigs are great, its always good to have some on u couse u never know what might work...

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:12:10 PM »

jigs are fished the best with either a centerpin setup or a spinning setup, because they both provide a drag free drift. A good tip is to use split shot instead of pencil lead as weight, the split shot balances the line and cast out nicely where the pencil lead will create a helicopter type motion. Jigs are rock magnets so fish them about a foot off the bottom. Sizes will depend on water conditions, but i use anything from an 1/8th oz up to a 1/2 oz. My favourite colour by far is a pink in the back and black in the front, with pink and white coming after that in second place. I like kramer jigs alot, mainly because i have had alot of experience with them, the jigs are made really well, all of them hand tied, and all tied on gamakatsu hooks. I happen to talk to steve alot and i trust his products to produce fish. check his website out, his prices are great and he also sells AWSOME steelhead worms. Bent rod jigs are also very dependable and they fish well.

http://www.kramertackleandguide.com/

good luck, if u need any other help, send me an email. 
Fish killer 101

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »

jigs are fished the best with either a centerpin setup or a spinning setup, because they both provide a drag free drift.

Drag free drift from a spinning setup LMAO
how do u get a drag free drift from a spinning setup???

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »

Open the bail and let the line freely go out, most guys control the line with their index finger. The americans have developed this method of steelhead fishing, that is spinning gear with light floats and jigs. Go read some issues of STS magazine or watch the video "Float Fishing for Steelhead". They probably think our baitcasting and centrepin gear is a bit barbaric when used with jigs  :P I think people have to open their eyes before criticizing methods that they have never heard of. These methods can only help your fishing  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:52:26 AM by Chrome Mykiss »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »

jigs are fished the best with either a centerpin setup or a spinning setup, because they both provide a drag free drift.

Drag free drift from a spinning setup LMAO
how do u get a drag free drift from a spinning setup???

cody research first before posting... or yeah you need the " video " !
hardware == fish

southpa

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »

Those jigs like the ones in CohoMans pictures are a pretty good color. Also Black with a red head or
black with a chartruese head work well for me. Sometimes you can use a small gooey bob or a piece of shrimp on the hook. You can apply scent to these without gumming up the jig feathers. Use a float to keep it 9 to 12 inches off bottom,because they realy like rocks and logs! A slit shot about 6 inches above jig helps it drift under float better.  Good Luck

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:55:42 PM »

if u look at the photo's of steve and his fish especially that tank that he has on his testimonials at the bottom u'll see all those fish are taken on spinning reels, it takes skill to do it, just like with the cp.
Fish killer 101

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »

Bright yellow(chartreuse) and black have given me a few hookups this year....  Fishing with jigs can be a bit pricey considering I lose at least 4 everytime I use them.  I will stick with pink worms and wool..

yoda

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »

just stopped by at hub's and picked up a few jigs, have to put one on and see what happens.
good info on that link to bent rods from ghost fish.

markus23

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 04:06:18 PM »

My first jig caught steelhead was in ten feet of water.  I was short floating with about 4 feet between my float and jig.  I would say more time's than not, go short...they will come up for it!