Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good queit camping places that have access to shore fishing too ?  (Read 1761 times)

fishing4salmon

hi, I have a bunch of friends who don't fish and would like to learn start from shore fishing. All I can do is provide them with rod and gear and show them where to get licience online. However, I have no idea where to bring them since they want to find a place that allows them to camp over night. They prefere places that are out of lower mainland where it is quiet and more closer to the nature. they have give me a date which is around May, 1-5. I would like to know where is a good place to bring them that they will not regret.

Thank guys

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Good queit camping places that have access to shore fishing too ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:32:10 AM »

F4S, is catching fish that they can keep a requirement for this trip?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:01 AM »

Lake or river ?

fishing4salmon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:10:38 AM »

F4S, is catching fish that they can keep a requirement for this trip?

No, keeping the fish is not a requirement for the trip, we just want to be able to catch some fish and demonstrate some safe releasing technique to the kids. ......but a beautiful, relaxing, OUT of lowermainland place is a MUST. And a place that has camp ground facility. We prefer Lake or salt water. Can be any where in Vancouver Island too

thanks you

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:28:53 AM »

Here are some ideas.

Sea to Sky corridor. Brohm Lake, Alice Lake, Browning Lake in Squamish offer some trout fishing and shore access is plentiful. Brohm Lake is just north of Squamish, it's a small lake and access is just off the highway. It will be stocked at least once before early May with rainbow trout (12 inches, 250 grams) that anglers can keep. The lake also has an abundant population of cutthroat trout, but they are generally small (6 inches). Browning Lake is the little one before you arrive in Squamish. Access is again just off the highway so both Brohm and Browning can be noisy at times (Browning is noisier than Brohm since part of Brohm is a bit further away from the highway and seperated by trees). Alice Lake is no longer or rarely stocked with rainbow trout but it still has trout in it. There is a campground at Alice Lake but I am not familiar with its opening period.

A bit further north, Alta Lake in Whistler has good rainbow trout and cutthroat trout fishing at times, but shore access is limited to a pier at the park on the east side. It's a total catch and release lake and no bait is allowed. Not sure about camping in Whistler, plus it's still quite cold in May.

One last (and warmer) option, see:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=17169.0

The resort mentioned in the above thread has relatively easy shore fishing for yellow perch, bass and trout. We'll be there during the weekend of 2nd - 4th.

Toprod

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

Many fish are caught off shore at Tunwa lake near Merritt, also Barnes lake near Ashcroft. Only a few hours away!

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:17:39 AM »

if you and your friends are in good shape take the hike to garibaldi lake , great shore fishing , and a beautiful place to stay overnight which your friends wont regret .but early may is still too early , good chance the lake is still iced over  so if you want to go later then that date its a great choice . you wont regret going there

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »

its about 30kms after squamish