Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River - Good Friday  (Read 6756 times)

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
Squamish River - Good Friday
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »

Left Whistler at 7am and headed down Highway 99 towards the Squamish Valley.Recent reports say still a far bit of snow,so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Last time I was down we got stopped at the PowerHouse with a ton of snow on the road and not worth getting stuck.

Great day to be out today.Snow capped peaks and sun poking out of the clouds here and there.The river was gin clear and looked fishy.

After a good session Spey Casting some bunny strip,I hooked into my first Bull trout.

Then 5 mins later I hook another

A Very Good Friday on the Squamish.

Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Squamish River - Good Friday
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »

What a beautiful place, thanks for the pictures and the little report.
The Bigger The Better!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »

thanks for the report, sounds like a fun day, those are some great underwater shots!

wondering how much snow is past the powerhouse?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »

Good one Dave. :) Did you run into Shane and Carlo? Is there truck stuck in the snow? ;D

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »

I did run into Shane and Carlo at the River.I hope they had some luck.

Snow on the road but easily driveable with potholes.I drove up to 29 mile then looks like alot more snow up from there.Did see the tree that fell across the road that Dion taked about.Removed now..

D
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:50 PM »

hey snapper head i have never gone out there for bulls. you got me thinking i should give it a go. would you mind emailing me some patterns?

thanks dude!

punkfisher@hotmail.com
girls suck throw rocks at them!

square tail

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »

excellent pictures and good job with the bull trout I am in the same boat not cought one yet and like squamish a lot would love to see some patterns as well would help out lots cheers and thanks will :D
the tug is the drug

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »

Fry patterns starting this time of the year for the next several weeks.

Or sculpin patterns.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:01:06 PM »

What a sweet day to be out. Nice fish  ;D

I had planned to go but bailed on my own plans.........bad idea i guess.

See any fry ?
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 07:51:43 PM »

Nice pics D  :)

That was the most traffic I have ever seen on the Squamish. I saw a drift boat, a raft and atleast 8 other vehicles. The roads are driveable for most people to mile 30, thats where the snow gets super deep. There is a deep rutted spot above 28, where I doubt any car or 2wd will want to venture past.

It was quite the adventure for us trying to find some untouched water and being shot at with a machine gun. There's definitely some crazies in the bush up there for the long weekend. We fished some choice water, infact some of the nicest water I have seen this season. However, I only managed to prick one bull on an indicator nymphing rig  ::)

The fry are starting to move, I saw a few scurrying about in the shallows. I did swing fry patterns through some very fishy lookin water without any sniffs  ???

I think the water is still too low and clear, which makes the bulls a bit leary  :-X
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:53:33 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »

With squamish expanding and more and more people moving up there, not to mention reports of good fishing like this one, you'd better get used to the traffic. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »

Marmot, any day on the Squamish River is a good day because of its wilderness experience so close to home, but one bull trout and two skunkers is not a report of good fishing. ;D The Squamish River does not receive the angling pressure like what some of the Fraser Valley streams do because of the driving distance, the bait ban, total catch and release of all species, and simply a lack of fish that requires anglers to put in a fair amount of time before seeing some success.

BWT, those photos I posted above are not from this year. They are from several seasons ago. :)

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »

Agreed Rodney

I wouldn't say a this is a report on how good the fishing is !!! Not alot of fish been caught on the Squamish but I was rewarded with some after many days on this system.
Worth every day getting skunked  to be rewarded with these Bull trout though.

Dave
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »

Well first off, Rodney, I love it up there with or without fish....if you were up there saturday though you'd have seen quite a bit of pressure.  Maybe not the vedder, but more than I was expecting to see, as Chrome Mykiss also expressed. 
Second,no need to get on the defense guys....I'm not bashing the report, its great to see you get some fish.  Its a fact though, post a pic of a fish and people want to go there.....we're sheep unfortunately.

Beautiful fish by the way.  We got skunked , the truck was broken into, we got a flat tire, and were attacked by bears all day ;)

by the way....did anyone else notice all the trees that were snapped in half from the avalanches??? WOW!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:09:55 PM by marmot »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »

Well first off, Rodney, I love it up there with or without fish....if you were up there saturday though you'd have seen quite a bit of pressure.  Maybe not the vedder, but more than I was expecting to see, as Chrome Mykiss also expressed. 
Second,no need to get on the defense guys....I'm not bashing the report, its great to see you get some fish.  Its a fact though, post a pic of a fish and people want to go there.....we're sheep unfortunately.

Beautiful fish by the way.  We got skunked , the truck was broken into, we got a flat tire, and were attacked by bears all day ;)

by the way....did anyone else notice all the trees that were snapped in half from the avalanches??? WOW!

Gotta agree wholeheartily with you on this one...With all the videos etc it's changed dramatically IMHO over the last two years alone...Days of driving up and seeing one or two cars are gone...You can't expect to keep putting it out there and assume the drive is stopping anyone!!! Along with the increased pressure is seeing the same old b.s. you see on the Vedder...garbage, break ins, low holers and un ethical practices on what was pretty much pristine fly water!!!
I'm not putting this on you snapper as I've seen your work and know that's not your intention..but I am seriously questioning the validity of internet sites....Stay with me on this one as I'm not trying to stir the pot or accuse anyone but it's something that has really bothered me lately....How can a site or person proclaim to be a conservationist and yet by their actions on the internet ruin small systems or lakes by constantly talking it up or showing it in reports, pictures or video's?? Does their actions justify their means? Maybe and maybe not...but in the end who's accountable for it? Another quick example is the lake this weekend...Since when do guys use giant jetsleds on a tiny freaking lake? and have to ask guys who are already there and trying to offload their own gear to move because they don't know how to drive um yet??
The Vedder is what it is...but small systems and fragile systems getting pounded on-line and then while the posters intent might have never been for it to happen...By the next day or weekend that spot is getting 10-20 more vehicles on it...Doubt what I'm saying? Post a report with a caught fish and a recognizable backdrop and go out and see....I know guys who have caught fish on one system and taken pic's with them on another just to see what would happen...possibly a hundred plus guys were at the fake system that week in that spot...So don't EVER doubt what you posting or showing isn't seen..what you should ask is are you then accountable for what happens when those spots vanish or are destroyed by others who's only intent is to catch and kill anything the swims?