Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeness Crab Question  (Read 7522 times)

Sandhead

Dungeness Crab Question
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

Couple questions...

Is there a legal limit on how long a trap can stay in the water?
     Left two traps out there with the expectation that i'll pick them up later in the week...

I have noticed lot more seals or sea otters this winter in the inner harbour, what do they eat?

Ain't no HO like a COHO

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Dungeness Crab Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »

I'm not aware of any time limitations your trap can stay in the water but I wouldn't leave them overnight. Too many "fishermen" out there who will help themselves.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »

Leaving them longer than a tide change or overnight is a poor idea. :(

As mentioned thievery is rife and once a Crab enters the trap he's someone else's dinner-including but not limited to Dogfish, Octopus and Seals.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »

I somtimes drop them fri night and pick them up sat. morning if i'm heading across.

I do way better babysitting the traps and re-baiting every 2hours, then leaving them over night.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

Traps are like brides pajamas around here. They don't stay long. ;) I've lost a few traps. Years ago they would be OK, not now. Otherwise if you did manage to leave a trap out there too long you would end up with star fish.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandhead

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »

Well i guess i'm getting early tommorrow and going to pick up my traps. Hopefully the weather forecast is correct and its sunny.

I figured two days in the water might mean twice as many crabs :)
I know the limit and plan to play within it....

I always thought that people stealing traps was a old wives tale, and that the current was probably responsible for stealing more traps than thieves on the water

Ain't no HO like a COHO

ever_hopefull

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »

There are some localized restrictions such as in the Belcarra / Cates Park area where it is illegal to leave the traps out after dark.  This restriction was put in place to deal with the number of people taking under sized crabs, especially after dark, or traps being lost or abandoned and ghost fishing foreve.

As always - check the regs as there are some variations.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »

Area 28 reg

Crab: Effective January 15, 2008,  until further notice, it is prohibited to fish for crabs from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise each day in Subareas 28-6, 28-7, 28-9, 28-11 and that portion of Subarea 28-12 southerly of a straight line from a point on the eastern shore of Indian Arm at 49 degrees 19.072 minutes North and 122 degrees 55.918 minutes West, on Turtle Head, to the most northerly point of Hamber Island, thence to the most northerly point of Grey Rocks Island thence to a point on the western shore of Indian Arm at 49 degrees 19.024 minutes North and 122 degrees 56.650 minutes West. Listed on 14/01/2008  FN0018  Closure map

Sandhead

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:03 PM »

Thanks, I know about those closures... but they dont affect the area where my traps are
Ain't no HO like a COHO

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »

Yup the real problem, around Belcarra at least, is the star fish, buggers will clean your trap of bait in no time, some times I haul more starfish up than crabs!!!
And thats with the traps down for 1/2 - 1 hr, I like to check them every couple of hrs myself
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Ontario Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:39:45 AM »

I was out around the Coal Port area (I think that's what it is called...) last year and when we were returning to pick up the trap, we say a small boat motor away at a very high speed.  When we checked the trap out, we found it empty!  :o  Is this "theft" common out there, just like the vehicle B&E's?  Another question...why didn't this guy steal the trap as well?  (I was told the answer is that these "knobs" are smart enough to realize if they stole all the traps, then it would be more work for them to get their crab!!!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »

Your lucky the trap was there he must of saw you coming. That area and around Cresent Beach are like crackheads for crabtrap. We lost three in two years. Just leaving them there while we went to the island for a few hours. For the sake of life and limb, keep a big look out  :o for the guy commercial fishing around there. He comes out from cresent beach area and will run you down if your in a small boat near his trapline.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishey

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »

sometimes people do more than just take the crabs...they take the whole trap and everything

Sandhead

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »

Thought i would follow up...

Went up indian arm to the spot where i placed the traps.
I had placed two traps in the area on Sunday. One a big commerical style trap and the other a box style trap.

Well the commerical style trap was gone and the other box style trap was there but missing its bait cage. I had secured the bait cage with a one of those metal rings.... that was still there...
Zero crabs in the one trap...

Why would anyone take the metal bait cage? Thanks for leaving a starfish though....

Very strange.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

dflyer

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:11:51 PM »

There you go fishy was right.  Sorry to hear about the trap missing.  Could be that the bait cage broke off ???  The most I have ever done was to leave the trap in the morning and check it later that day.  I agree with other posts about people helping themselves.