Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sumas  (Read 2394 times)

daver

sumas
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »

has anyone ever tried the sumas river for cutts or are there any steelies there?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: sumas
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »

Shouldn't this question be in the fishing report section?  ;)  I see your posting needs to improve as well.... ;D

There's a nice run of wild coho in there but I've never heard of steelhead.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

daver

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 06:41:06 PM »

HUH? first of all apparently we need to have a certain amount of posts to be able to access the reports section and what exactly do you mean  by my posts needing a little work?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »

What I meant was both of us need to get up to 10 posts before they'll let us into the fishhing report section.  Your posts are just fine....

2 more to go...
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

nineweight

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »

has anyone ever tried the sumas river for cutts or are there any steelies there?

I've actually caught some really nice cutties in the sumas river over the years.  However they are pretty sparse.  

salmon river

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »

I know there are a lot of bullheads in there, ha

Apparently there are sturgeon in there at times although I have yet to catch one, but there is carp as well and I do know that for a fact.

I would imagine there is cuttthroat in there too, I know there are a few rainbows as I have caught some smaller ones in the 8 -12 inch length. Actually on bread of all things under a bobber while I was fishing for carp. That was actually the first place I ever caught trout on bread.....

If memory serves me right there is an age restricted creek (I can't remember the name off hand) that flows into the Sumas that they used to stock with rainbows at one time, not sure if they do anymore, so I am not sure if they are from their or just resident rainbows.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:00:29 AM by salmon river »

Kristopher

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »

My little cousin got a nice 2+ pound cutty out of the Sumas a couple years ago so they're definitely in there.  Try the parks and the pump station and near the highway bridge. 
The age restricted stream that flows into the Sumas would be Marshal (Lonzo) Creek.

chummer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »

I have seen many carps, pike minnows and sturgeon caught there but not many cutts.
I believe other systems are more productive for cutts.

Kristopher

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »

I bet if one was to get a boat in there near the confluence, they could probably get into a couple cutts..