Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Feb. 28 - With Pictures  (Read 1993 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon Feb. 28 - With Pictures
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »

Another day too nice to pass up on so I headed out around 9:30, once most of the fog had lifted and started around the Stave. Nothing biting so I headed way downstream to the spot that produced last week. After a couple of hours I managed to get 2,  3 1/2 footers to the boat. Another hour produced nothing so I headed back upstream to an area the I did well at in the fall.

After another 45 minutes without even a sniff, I decided to give it 5 more minutes. I'm sure everyone has done the "just one more cast" scenario but today it paid off. There must have been a group that moved in because I hit into 5 back to back. All were in the 4' range but I did get one 5 footer before calling it a day at 2:30.

Every fish was caught on ooligans and the takes were pretty soft. As usual, I released all fish at the side of the boat except the one pictured below. He got the hook a bit too deep to do a quick release so I decided to snap a pic while he was on board.

This is a fish from October last year. Just thought I'd post a nice memory. The guys were friends from Nova Scotia and this was their first Sturgeon trip.

Day Stats:
Air Temp: 5-11
Water temp: NA (didn't have my sounder with me)
Debris: Minimal
Water clarity: Excellent
River Traffic: Minimal
Mostly Sunny
Bait: Ooligans 55'-75'

Happy Fishing!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Sturgeon Feb. 28 - With Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:12:38 PM »

thanks for the report, sounds like a great day out there! Im gonna dig out the dino gear and give it a try tomorrow.

looking at the second pic and wondering if the wet pants are from the fish? or did you friend get a little too excited?

Zpg

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »

thanks for the report, sounds like a great day out there! Im gonna dig out the dino gear and give it a try tomorrow.

looking at the second pic and wondering if the wet pants are from the fish? or did you friend get a little too excited?

LOL

It was the fish but you have to know I have bugged him about that endlessly!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »

Nice fish ZPG!! How was the fight? you find they fight the same in the winter compared to other months?

Im going to head out wednesday with the new boat...Hopefully the sturgy Gods will be nice to me
weeeeeeeeeow!

Zpg

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:44:02 PM »

Hey Roe Kid

Glad to hear you "landed" the new boat!

The sturgies definitely are much more lively in the warmer water. I find they don't jump until the temp hits the high 40's or even mid 50's. I didn't fight the big one pictured. I let the Easterners have a go at her. It was about a 50 minute battle.

Good luck fishing and I look forward to the report and some photo's!