Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Feb 21  (Read 2413 times)

Zpg

Sturgeon Feb 21
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

Well it's that time of year again!! I was considering not posting this report as it's not too exciting but I thought a little change from vedder reports might be a welcome alternative.

I couldn't pass up on fishing such a beautiful day so I headed out at 8am with a buddy. The air temp was zero and the water temp a shocking 36 degrees. We started below the Stave and worked our way down river all day without a sniff. We mixed up our baits between last year's Chum Roe, dew worms and ooligans but nothing was working. I had come to the opinion that the water temp was just too cold.

Around  1:30 we hit a spot a ways below the Albion ferry in a deep hole (75') and hit into 3 fairly fiesty guys in the 3 1/2' range in about an hour. All hit on ooligans.

Although the fishing wasn't great, it was better than I expected and I got a bit of color on my pasty white face as a bonus.

I think the highlight of the day was watching a crazy fool water skiing! Even with a dry suit I can't imagine how cold it must have been when he wiped out. I was guessing he probably lost a bet.

Day Stats:

Air temp  1-9 degrees
Water temp:  36 degrees
Sunny
Water clarity: excellent
Debris: minimal
Bait: ooligans

Good luck and good fishing!

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Sturgeon Feb 21
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:38:11 PM »

Thanks for the report ZPG! Hopefully I will get more sturgy fishing done with the new boat!
weeeeeeeeeow!

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:14:58 AM »

Thanks for the report ZPG! Hopefully I will get more sturgy fishing done with the new boat!

Along with your bestest pal right ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:38:58 AM »

Ya wenas ;D ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Zpg

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:47:35 AM »

Congrats on the boat!! What did you buy?
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »

Well have not exactly bought it yet..But we are going up Wednesday to pic it up. It is a 2002 16.5ft Smoker craft Lodge series. SS. :)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Zpg

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 07:14:08 PM »

Sounds like a perfect boat for Sturgeon! Post a pic when you get her home.