Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: local lakes  (Read 5126 times)

dan-o

local lakes
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:09:59 PM »

wondering if any of the local lakes could be fishable yet, i miss trout.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: local lakes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:00:38 PM »

Well with the warmer weather for the afternoons it should make the fish a little more active. Mike lake is closed until April 1 and the gate to Rolley does not open till then either.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:42:44 AM »

lafarge is worth a shot

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »

Lakes were last stocked around late November/early December. There should be fish around, but not as active due to the cold temperature. Most of them are not frozen anymore, only the higher elevation ones.

For information on lakes around the Lower Mainland, the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC just released a feature lake guide for region 2.

http://www.gofishbc.com/docs/r2guide.pdf?RD=1

dan-o

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »

thanks guys, i have a new 4 weight that is begging to be used!

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »

I checked green timbers today and was surprised to see it was mostly ice covered. :o
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »

Well with the warmer weather for the afternoons it should make the fish a little more active. Mike lake is closed until April 1 and the gate to Rolley does not open till then either.

Thats not entirely true even though you have posted this on a couple sites. I spoke to the provincial parks and they were plowing the roads up on the Alouette. Alouette lake is closed untill further notice because of winter conditions and 6inches of snow in the parking lots at the lake. Mike Lake is NOT closed. The gate is closed but you can hike in. The same with Rolley the gate is locked and you can hike in. Both are about a 15-20min hike.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:37:09 PM »

Thats not entirely true even though you have posted this on a couple sites. I spoke to the provincial parks and they were plowing the roads up on the Alouette. Alouette lake is closed untill further notice because of winter conditions and 6inches of snow in the parking lots at the lake. Mike Lake is NOT closed. The gate is closed but you can hike in. The same with Rolley the gate is locked and you can hike in. Both are about a 15-20min hike.

The info from Mike lake was posted on the Parks web site a few weeks back. When I did phone they also confirmed this and that is when I contacted my local MLA regarding the closure of Provincial parks. I guess they have come up with a new response. I wonder how long they will take to clear the roads. Probable just as long as it took them last year to clear a half dozen trees that fell across the road. It was like the beginning of April last year.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

Yup I remember that. They only cleared the main roads up to the lake. They were not going to plow the parking lots. Guess we just wait until the melt. I dont really care as I dont have much time to fish myself but I did call and investigate for people who wanted to.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »

I remember being disapointed in them opening late last year until i got into the park to see the aftermath of the winter winds.
There was some major flooding up there last year as well.
Hopefully it is because of roads but man these parks operators they have now dont seem to get on top of things too wquickly if snow is indeed the excuse this time.

dan-o

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »

well, thanks for the info. i ended up going to lafarge lake,in search of some sleepy brood stock. as a downtown resident, i usually head up the 99 for my lake fishing, heading east for the wack when the steelhead call . i had never fished lafarge before, so when i saw it on the map i figured i could kill two birds with one stone, as my wife really wanted to check out the new h+m at coquitlam  centre. it is pretty fantastic that i could fish while she shopped, although, naively, a little more urban then i would have expected. i actually heard someone say "oh my gosh, there is someone fishing out there". so i focused on the new rod, pretended that i was at one of locals and had a good time. tally for the end of the day: wife=three shirts, one pair jeans, and a new jacket; dan: no fish and the realization that i have a leak in the crotch of my waders. the plus side is that my little 7"6 4 weight is a dream a will share  many more memorable moments on the water with me.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »

Lafarge can be moody :-\

Next time you have the local itch, try Mill Lake in Abby

171 fish released last month @ 5lbs each !  :o :o :o

Go get em......

"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »

This way your wife can shop at 7 oaks and west oaks mall while you go around the corner to fish this lake.

coryandtrevor

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »

Good call.

Distraction is the key to the married man's fishing agenda !

coryandtrevor

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »

hey dan-o ,

a while back you mentioned you were fishing at Stump Lake in Squamish and you encountered some really big fish.

Did you actually get to see the said " broodstock" fish you hooked ? I only ask as there is supposedly Splake in there and its not the first time I have heard of monsters being hooked in Stump.

Cheers