Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something other than steel....  (Read 3878 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Something other than steel....
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:37:09 PM »

Wondering if anybody has any knowledge about sea perch fishing in the vancouver area they would be willing to share.  I'm looking to get the kids out for something a little more tame than my regular excursions.

On another note, a beautiful spot that has been my go-to searun cutthroat spot for the past couple of years has been found out by the ATV/worm and bobber with fishing stake in the ground/trash leaving crowd.  I got there to discover stakes all along the bank and styrofoam containers with half rotted worms (about 4 containers), as well as some Dairy queen wrappers.  Lots of kids footprints too....why is it that the people that really shouldn't be reproducing often seem to have the easiest time doing so?  Anyways, I packed up all the trash and took it out, of course, its just painful to think that they probably bonked whatever they caught, and it is such a productive spot....they are almost guaranteed to be back.  Ugh.  And I thought I wouldn't have to bring out the pellet gun and ghillie suit again...

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Something other than steel....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

I saw a guy do really well of the west van dock for perch.  He had a bunch in a bucket and I would guess the small one was around 10-11 inches but the rest were much bigger.  I only saw luck like that once but if you have some crab traps, between that and a rod, I could keep my 4 and 5 year olds pretty entertained!

I havent been to thte west van dock in AGES...at one point it was closed...has it opened again?

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »

When we were kids, my dad used to take us out to Pender Harbour for perch in the fall. We used sea worms that we caught at low tide at Spanish Banks.  Locally, I don't know but you might want to ask Darrell at Reaction, especially if you want to try to catch them on the fly.
President Club S. C. & P.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »

Ambleside Pier should be opened since the closure last spring for repair. Dundarave Pier remains closed for fishing and crabbing. If you have access to small piers between Deep Cove and Horseshoe Bay, then it is worth a try. There is a pier in White Rock that can produce as well. Of course Sunshine Coast and VI regions would  be even more productive.

A few notes to remember, you can no longer take small crabs off the beach as bait for perch in the Lower Mainland (I can dig up the reg if you wish, but it would take awhile). The best bait that we have used in the winter for perch has actually been the frozen jumb prawns that are cut into small pieces (small enough to fit on a size 10 hook). The daily quota for each perch species is 8. Watch out for rockfish conservation areas (there is one just north of East Vancouver that used to be good for perch), which are closed for fishing with a rod and reel.

The terminal set up is simple. A small sliding weight (<0.5oz) on the main line, swivel, 2 ft long leader (4lb test), small hook. Drop the line straight down to the bottom, lift it up a couple of feet. Gently and slightly lift the rod up, let it drop and wait for the bites as the bait sinks freely.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »

Thanks guys,

Good to hear that you have caught them in the winter Rod, I wasn't planning on using live crab(don't worry about digging up the regs)...probably just sea worms, they work great.  Ive done very well for them on the sunshine coast along rocky shorelines using a rig similar to what you're describing...  I've also caught them under a float (when the kids were with us it was easier for them).  Gotta get out there and do some hunting now...might try near a kelp bed at location x :)

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:25:19 PM »

....why is it that the people that really shouldn't be reproducing often seem to have the easiest time doing so? 

Check out the flick - Idiocracy - you will get a good laugh out of it.

Steveston had ( has?) good fishing for perch around the docks where the fish were sold.We would ask the fisherman for some unsellable prawns ang jig by hand. Had a few fun days with friends years back.
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »

Check out the flick - Idiocracy - you will get a good laugh out of it.

Steveston had ( has?) good fishing for perch around the docks where the fish were sold.We would ask the fisherman for some unsellable prawns ang jig by hand. Had a few fun days with friends years back.

Hahaha i love that movie Idiocracy.. good movie

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »

They are a target around most docks. They can get quite large if left alone long enough. Not much hope of that now days but when I was a kid back in the 60's we caught and ate lots in the 17 inch range. Best bait I found was seaworms, hard to find them now days too.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »

I think those 17" ones is either pile perch, or striped seaperch.  These two has strong jaw and teeth.  Had a few occations where they bit through #14 hooks.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »

I caught a ton a large perch in eggmont in the summer..Not sure how the fishing is for them in the winter ???

If i recall correctly they are excellent fighters on light gear!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »

I've got some in the 12" range off of white rock peir and If you cast into the rocks I've caught some small cod. They are a ton of fun and fun for the whole family. I still go down when the rivers and lakes are slow ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »

Most of the piers, Jerico, Ambleside, Cates, White Rock... you'll have a hard time catching a perch from end of Dec to May.  However, you'll still have some luck catching sculpins.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:13 AM »

Early summer is definitely a good time, but you are intercepting pregnant fish so I avoid fishing for them during that time. A few years ago we caught striped perch in January, with consistent success.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »

Went to ambelside to check it out, did not hook up with anything....lots of seals though so my little girl was quite excited about that.  And of course the requisite fools keeping undersized crabs.

Rodney is the place you were getting them somewhere close to richmond?   

Thanks everyone.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »

The area where we fished is now a rockfish conservation area in Burrard Inlet just east of the Second Narrows Bridge, so can't fish there anymore.

If there isn's a preference on target species, you might even want to try Garry Point Park in Richmond. Use prawn again, cast it far out with a heavy weight so you do not get snagged up on the rocks close to shore. There are always bullhead around, but this time of the year you might even find a dogfish, flounder, tomcod... I usually prefer to fish on the rocks around the Fishermen Memorial.