Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Brood Stock Capture Starts Tuesday  (Read 13302 times)

square tail

Re: Steelhead Brood Stock Capture Starts Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 05:34:59 AM »

what is the count in the hatchery to date does any body know?
the tug is the drug

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »

Just over 50.

buck

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »

Still require 9 females and 3 males. Time is running out as all females have to be spawned before the end of April. If females have not spawned before this date they are released back into the river.
The reason for releasing these fish is that we are unable to get the juvenile fish up to release size if spawned past the end of April. Nine females spawned to date.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »

Still require 9 females and 3 males. Time is running out as all females have to be spawned before the end of April. If females have not spawned before this date they are released back into the river.
The reason for releasing these fish is that we are unable to get the juvenile fish up to release size if spawned past the end of April. Nine females spawned to date.
Thanks for the update. Do they still just want fish from below the Crossing?

buck

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »

Chris they still only want fish below the crossing.   
    Just would like to mention  to EVERY DAY to leave the old brood stock fish in Sardis Park alone.           
    Smoked mud is still mud.

yoda

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 12:36:34 AM »

yes, i understand the dillema, a w marking on a fish usually means that a seal has in fact bitten the fish , but criss cross marks on the head are usually due to nets. also when a fish has only made it up to the highway bridge, and not the gauntlet, interpretation becomes a little easier.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 12:22:51 PM »

lol thanks buck...... don't worry I havnt fished there since last year since Im not aloud to anymore being 16...... my friends still do thouhg, lol. I make fun of them whenever they bring those things home, and I only did that once, was nasty and wouldnt do it again lol.... 

Good luck on getting the rest of your fish, hopefully you guys meet the quota.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »

Hey Buckaroo, whats the deal with only fish below the crossing? I've been out of touch for awhile but back in the day you all took fish from me above the crossing. Seems if your short why not above? Or maybe your tubers arent in the same class as us old dogs. ;D ;)
I believe they are looking for as fresh as fish as possible and the Lower are late run fish as well. I could be wrong but are not a lot of the higher up fish staging there now at this time of year?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »

Chris is right, the hatchery only wants fresh fish, also the fish abve the Vedder Crossing are considered early run fish and they are not suppose to be taking those anymore, they are wanting some late running fish. From what I understand the hatchery people are not the ones deciding what fish to take, they are getting orders from someone higher up then they are  :D.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »

I don't think so, from what I understand from working there earlier this week they are trying to avoid early run fish, which they are assuming are above the crossing and are trying to get some later run fish that are coming up right now.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »

Yea I agree but when I was working there they told me they didn't want early run fish anymore, anything above the Crossing is considered an early run fish apperntally..... Hopefully Buck reads this and enlighten us some more ;) Im just trying to go by what they told me, I dont want to give any false info so all I know is they want fresh fish, so go out and get some for them! lol

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »

Wild fish dont seem to like me so far this year, the only 2 I've landed were hatchery and also I would be no good to them because I only get out of school right when they stop collecting fish  ;) Retired people would be way more useful seeing as they have more time to fish, which brings up another question.... Why do the retired people pay less than half of what we pay for liscences when they can fish every day and we are held to fishing on weekends or for a couple hours after work/school?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »

Got to be 65 to qualify which I can if I wait until August to get it. ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »

Ok sorry if I offended anyone, I mean "older people" people over 65 which is normally the retirees.... Of course there are retired people before this Im just saying people who are older have more time to fish but still get cheaper liscences...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »

Will be taking them from Tamahi down starting tomorrow, around 9 does, 3 bucks.