Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Brood Stock Capture Starts Tuesday  (Read 13303 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Steelhead Brood Stock Capture Starts Tuesday
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »

It is time to start the 2008 steelhead brood captures program on the Chlliwack Vedder River. It starts this Tuesday and fish are taken from daylight to about 3PM, weekdays only at this time. In the past about 70 wild steelhead are taken for spawning purposes that take place at the Chilliwack River Hatchery. The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and FOC staff at the Chilliwack Hatchery work together on this program.

A number of volunteer anglers will be carrying the holding tubes so please co operate if one of them asks to tube a wild fish you have on. It will be to your benefit to do so as you are providing hatchery fish for you and others in the years ahead. Of course the steelhead must be left in the water at all times if you see a volunteer coming to tube it from you.

Rodney or Steve may wish to provide more details. I will attempt to keep you posted as how the catch numbers go as the program progresses.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:02:05 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Brood Stock Capture Starts Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »

Just about got a nice wild doe in the tube yesterday but unfortunatley she broke the anglers leader just as we were getting ready to tube her, maybe today. ;D

Thanks anyway to the angler who was willing to donate the fish to the program.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:24:53 AM »

I forgot to post this yesterday. For those who are not familiar with the steelhead broodstock program, please visit this page:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/080114_2.html

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »

I was informed 2 tubed today, by The Master and Tooth Pick. Also 4 yesterday by the Hatchery staff. Fish were caught around me today but all hatchery steelhead. ??? ::)

I imagine the one I lost would have been wild though. :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:59:02 PM »

Just received word from Steve they will be holding off taking more brood stock until March 1. They have 52 to date at the hatchery. I believe they have a 50/50 split on does and bucks and will take between 25 and 30 more come March 1.

A big thanks to those that have donated the wild fish they have landed to the volunteers and also to the volunteers who make that extra effort to tube these fish.

This will provide fish for us all, to enjoy in the years ahead. ;D ;D

Kristopher

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:02:48 PM »

I ended up landing a nice wild doe just a few minutes after you guys left yesterday::) .  Would have loved for her to end up in the hatchery.

I was the guy fly fishing with Kevin.   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:04:48 PM by Kristopher »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »

I ended up landing a nice wild doe just a few minutes after you guys left yesterday::) .  Would have loved for her to end up in the hatchery.

I was the guy fly fishing with Kevin.   
Yes Kevin told me when I saw him later. Well done getting it on the fly, too bad we left when we did, next time.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »

Just phoned the hatchery and they need 5 more pairs to complete this years program.

I am going out shortly to see if I can get one as I have not done too well for the program tubing only 2 of which one was Lew's and the other mine. Of course out of the dozen I have landed this season if memory serves me right only 2 were unclipped.

Thanks to all that have contributed their fish to the program.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »

Apparently the information I received yesterday has now been corrected and they still need 10 pairs, 20 fish.

Guess I better get out there.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »

I was doing work at the hatchery the last two days for school work experience... there were 8 empty containers there yeterday when we spawned some of the fish and about 4 or 5 had only one fish. Chris is also got to see your fish and I remeber you saying it was probably the smallest one there, belive me it wasn't ^^. I could post some pics I took on my cell phone yesterday if you guys want? (Pics from spawning and of a few fish)

fishey

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

anyone know how many more they need?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »

anyone know how many more they need?
See above.

yoda

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

sure hope there are more fish coming! seems to have dried up in the lower river lately. heard rumours of indian nets. saw two fish with scales missing and lines on them this week. are the indians targettingred springs in the fraser?
really sad if it's true!!

fyrslyer

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »

I heard the same thing about the Native nets at the mouth, could they be targeting Steelhead?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »

sure hope there are more fish coming! seems to have dried up in the lower river lately. heard rumours of indian nets. saw two fish with scales missing and lines on them this week. are the indians targettingred springs in the fraser?
really sad if it's true!!
They have had some ceremonial opening for Early Timed Chinooks but there has been reports of illegal nets as well in the Chilliwack area of the Fraser.

Not sure of nets targetting steelhead at Devils Run (Mouth of The Vedder which actually is the mouth of the Sumas) but there is reports of them each year at this location, sometimes just rumours. I have not seen any steelhead with nets marks this year from close to 30 fish I have seen landed by myself and others. Sometimes you will see marks caused from the fish twisting in your line while fighting it. Then there is healed marks from past injures as well I also have been told some marks are caused by parasites.