Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River bed parking?  (Read 3816 times)

Paulo

River bed parking?
« on: January 13, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »

I was out on sat. the 12th and parked just above thr Hydro brigde. Why do people find it necessary to park on the river bed? IMHO there is just no reason for this. In this air of environmentally awareness that we all applaud, push and believe in I find this somewhat hypocriticall of some people, whereby they talk about bieng all for the enviroment and yet turn around and park on the river bed. It only takes one or two as usual and then the flood gates open. Those trucks can leave behind oil, grease deposits, fuel deposits and not to mention the garbage that inadvertantly gets dropped around the vehicles because people are distracted by differant things that are going on amongst buddies. I was somewhat surprised to see who some of the people were on sat. in and amongst the spey fisherman. This has been going on for some time now and I just had to pipe up. If you really care about this river park on the road. Walking the extra 30 to 40 paces to the river will not kill you, but your actions may have a negative affect on the fish and the system itself. Let me just say that I'm not trying to single out any one person, fishertype, race, creed, colour, or vehicle owner. My rant is over. Thank you. Please park on the road.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: River bed parking?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »

Ditto!   Whole heartedly agree.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »

Good post. Education and enforcement are lacking in this problem.

I've written about it a couple of times.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2005/0205_01.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2002/1002_01.html

The area that you talked about used to be blocked off a couple of years ago after the same complaints were made I believe. For the area below the Vedder Cross, the City of Chilliwack would be the first place to voice your concern on this.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

We complained to the City about this problem a couple years ago and they blocked it off but thy also blocked off some of the area to park as well. ???

Then some others complained about this and most of the rock was removed. I guess we may have to address this again but the hope would be that anglers would  refrain from driving out there as your points are well made. I even have a garbage bag there but some anglers still throw it on the ground as they are too lazy to walk a few feet to it to deposit the litter.

Then we have the same problem on area's on the Fraser Bars like Peg Leg where hundred's drive.

Many of us are guilty of doing this at Peg and other areas as well, even the boat launch at Island 22 is covered with water at freshet time. Then there is the huge gravel excavation starting now on Spring Bar where hundreds of gravel trucks as well as other equipment will be travelling.

We as humans seem bent on continuing the destruction of out fish habitat and the environment don't we?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »

Chris may be a sign should be put up at this certain spot 'Paulo' addressed. Letting drivers know not to park on river bed.

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »

The idea about putting a sign up telling one not to park close to the river bed is a great idea. But it probably would not stay there because vandals will just tear it down and deposit the sign in the river.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »

Not saying it's right but I suspect that a few of the people who park on the river bed do so because of all the vehicle break ins.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:38:26 AM »

And whats with people going around the rock barrier at the ranger run parking lot.  They end up driving right thru the spawning channel there to save themselves a 5 minute walk....just brutal.  :-X

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »

great topic and i cant agree more. to some its just being lazy and others are just do not give a damm about the enviroment and the impact it has on the fish and the river system . too bad the vandals wont leave the signs alone as it would make people more aware of this issue. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

This is the spot that we are talking about right? This photo is from October 12th, 2003.

One cannot assume that people who do so are either ignorant or lazy. A large percentage of people simply do not know better because they are from the city and not as connected to nature as others may think. It's just like all other issues - Mortality of wild trout by bait, garbage dumping, proper catch and release, redd disturbance by wading, keeping spawning fish, unnecessary catching and releasing of spawning fish. These all need to be addressed again and again so newcomers are fully aware of them. It's a tiring and frustrating process, but in the long run it benefits all of us.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »

I thought it was considered illigal to drive on/in a riparian zone or am I mistaken.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »

Thats the spot Rodney. :'(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

I thought it was considered illegal to drive on/in a riparian zone or am I mistaken.
I thought so too but from the sources I talked too it is hard to get a conviction if a charge is laid. Maybe check with your CO or FOC office and see what they say. Please let us know the answer you get.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 12:27:57 PM »

I thought it was considered illegal to drive on/in a riparian zone or am I mistaken.
I thought so too but from the sources I talked too it is hard to get a conviction if a charge is laid. Maybe check with your CO or FOC office and see what they say. Please let us know the answer you get.

Thanks Chris. I have sent e-mails to the office in Victoria as well as one to DFO. As soon as I get a response I will post it here.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »

I believe people may park down there because there is little parking down at that end, and much more room for anglers than there is room for cars. Makes sense for the overflow to end up on the bank...

When it was blocked off it was very difficult to turn around, due to all the cars jammed in there.

It just takes one person's bad parking job to screw up the flow of traffic for everyone else.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin