Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing In Fiji over the Christmas holidays  (Read 1594 times)

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
Fishing In Fiji over the Christmas holidays
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:24:49 PM »

During the Christmas holidays, my family and I ventured to the South Pacific for some fun in the sun. I got lucky and was able to get out fishing a few times as well.

After the 12 1/2 hour flight, we made it to Fiji We stayed in the capital, Nadi. I did some shore fishing with spoons and bait. My attempts were fruitless. That was okay because our resort was beautiful and our next destination was a quaint island way off in the tropical ocean.

Our island that we stayed on was beautiful, it’s called Castaway Island. After checking into our room, I hit the water for some snorkeling. I saw many fish ranging from 5oz to 5lbs. I packed a small telescopic rod hoping to be able to wet a line and catch some of these tropical fish.   After a quick check in with the boat man, it turned out I could not fish off shore. That was ok because the resort offered a hand lining expedition every night.

We managed to get out once for hand line fishing because all of the other nights were fully booked. Our guide J.J. drove us out to our spot. Our spool were filled with what seemed to be 80lb test, attached to that was an about 2oz of lead and a large hook. We used chunks of barracuda for bait. We took out spools of line and dropped it to the bottom and then pulled up about 2 arms lengths of line. I had many bites but hooking up to a fish was difficult for me. 7 fish with landed in the 2 hours we were out. Unfortunately, I did not catch any of them; however, my dad did manage to get a small brim.  The large red fish is known as a coral trout, the other smaller fish are a mix of brim and snapper.

Our next fishing adventure in Fiji was deep sea sport fishing. We arranged a trip through our resort and at 8:00am the next morning we were out on the water in pursuit of saltwater game. The ocean was pretty much dead when we were out. We saw one school of bait fish during our four hour outing, and as expected we had a bite. This fish did not stick. Though we did not land a fish, it was a good experience none the less.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:18:29 PM by Zach »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Fishing In Fiji over the Christmas holidays
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

All excellent eating fish - congrats!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »

That coral trout is awesome table fish and cost a fortune in Asian cities.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:25:16 PM »

Thanks for the report Glad to hear you had a good time.

Funny about going out trolling and feeling the ocean is just dead I know exactly what you mean you can feel it after just a few minutes.

Whether it's the phase of the moon or currents changing you never know, it can change for the better quite quickly sometime but usually takes a day to do so.