Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bass enjoying a warmer christmas....  (Read 4581 times)

derdywaders

• Nature teaches more than She preaches.
bass enjoying a warmer christmas....
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

found this clip surfing youtube.....video tags say  Vancouver....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZYGuPCq8k
Today's menu cosists of two items: Take it, or leave it.... So what can I get you?

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: bass enjoying a warmer christmas....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:00:57 PM »

Man are they aggressive
always a student

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:01 PM »

Yikes! Now imagine what they do in our lakes :(
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »

i used to catch about a thousand each summer in california
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:50:21 PM »

you want to bring some of that luck up here and irradicate them from our native trout lakes???? ;)
always a student

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:14 PM »

got a few of my local buddies hooked on catchin em now too.only tried fishtrap creek,mill lake,albert dick and glouchester ponds so far.id be more than glad to go elsewhere where the absolutely should be and pull em out n fry em up yum.the species coexist in california to a certain extent.ive caught largemouth bass and chinook on the same day lol by no means am i an advocate of bass in salmonoid habitat to whomever may assume.the 1 thinkg i have to say i miss about fishing back home is striper fishing :'(
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »

if u think those are aggressive look up peacock bass :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

clownfish

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »

As it would be illegal for a pet shop to sell these fish in BC, I would have to assume that this fish was caught by angling or in a net and then taken home and placed into that aquarium. This person has effectively broken at least one angling law/regulation. IE. From page nine of the '06-'07 Synopsis, not certain on what page of the current one. "It is unlawful to... Have any live fish in your possession in the wild, or move any live fish or live aquatic invertebrates around the province or transport them into any waters of BC. Do not keep angled fish alive in a "livewell" or other device, or on stringers, and never use live fish as bait (neither I, nor the regulation, are referring to the use of the goldfish in this particular instance) or release your aquarium fish to the wild. "High-grading" is illegal."

I would be further tempted to believe that, having likely known that he/she has broken this regulation, this person would not think anything about transplanting this, or other bass, to a location where bass, and other foreign species like yellow perch, have not currently been introduced by the "bucket brigade" that has been so busy around the province in the last few years.

If I had my way, anyone caught doing any of this type of activity would be permanently banned from possesion of a fishing license, heavily fined, and spend some time in jail.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:52:11 PM by Rodney »

clownfish

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »

well arent u a stick in the mud

This is illegal for many good reasons, not the least of which is that bass and yellow perch are predatory feeders, their primary source of food being the fry of other species of fish, along with many, or most of the same food sources that our native and legally introduced species feed upon. Our local species do not need the extra competition and predation on themselves that these illegally introduced species like bass and yellow perch represent.

Species introduced into environments where they did not previously exist, can cause untold levels of harm and destruction. The Australians can provide several examples of how badly things can go wrong; rabbits, cane toads, and feral goats in the Outback, being just a few examples. Another example comes from your own country, just south of us in Washington state, they have discovered how much damage that bass and perch can inflict onto the native populations of all species of trout and salmon.

Here in BC the provincial Fisheries Dept., along with the federal Fisheries and the BC Conservation Foundation recently had to poison Skmana Lake, near Chase, to eliminate illegally stocked yellow perch that had essentially wiped out the native trout population of the lake. There were only 15 trout found in the entire lake after the completion of the poisoning and "the shoreline was literally yellow with thousands and thousands of dead perch", quoted from article in the Jan/Feb. '08 BC Outdoors Sportfishing magazine. The Ministry has at least seven more lakes on their hit list. There a number of lakes on Vancouver Island that should be included on this list. This project was funded by my tax dollars and fishing license fees, and would not have been necessary except for a few selfish and shortsighted individuals that care nothing for anyone else nor the damage that they have caused, so excuse me for being "a stick in the mud"!

While I'm not saying that you, or anyone else on this thread, had anything to do with any of this, I don't break the rules and regulations of the places that I go to, so anyone that doesn't like our rules and regulations they don't have to come here.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »

Hmmmm. I wonder what a moron that keeps these fish would do with if they had to get rid of them?

I wonder why it is illegal to keep these fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

Has someone phoned the ORR line regarding this?

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

it isnt my darn fish i dont need to be fingered by you i abide by the laws and regulations of this country i was jus giving my 2 cents if u dont like my input dont read it

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

it isnt my darn fish i dont need to be fingered by you i abide by the laws and regulations of this country i was jus giving my 2 cents if u dont like my input dont read it

No one is fingering you, please don't misunderstand, your input is just fine. That's why I've edited clownfish's post. The problem sits with the questioned video clip.

clownfish

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »

CALI 2 BC,  Rodney, and fellow FWR members, as I did not save, to my own system, my first post, I do not know if I inferred that CALI 2 BC had anything to do with that video. If that was how it came across, then I humbly apologize for the appearance of the inference. I think, that what was edited out did contain a statement that I was not pointing fingers as it were, but I do not recall for certain. But I make no apologies for the rest of my posts on this topic, as I honestly believe that there is nothing else in them to apologize for.

Respectfully,

clownfish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 04:30:07 PM »

CALI 2 BC,  Rodney, and fellow FWR members, as I did not save, to my own system, my first post, I do not know if I inferred that CALI 2 BC had anything to do with that video. If that was how it came across, then I humbly apologize for the appearance of the inference. I think, that what was edited out did contain a statement that I was not pointing fingers as it were, but I do not recall for certain. But I make no apologies for the rest of my posts on this topic, as I honestly believe that there is nothing else in them to apologize for.

Respectfully,

clownfish

Clownfish, IMO, apologies are not needed because you have done no wrong. I fully understood what your original post was implying, but apparently some others interpreted differently/wrongly so the easiest thing for me to do was to take out the questionable part and avoid arguments escalating over a small misunderstanding. I'm sure after the previous two posts, CALI 2 B.C. should realize that you were not accusing him but simply explaining the devastation of invasive species. If he does not, then you and I both need to improve our communication skills. ;D