Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin Rod  (Read 4888 times)

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
Centerpin Rod
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »

Hey,

Does ones rod have to be specifically designed for a centerpin to use one ? I bought a 10'6 , 10- 20lb Medium rod and am weighing in on whether I should go for CP or level wind.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Centerpin Rod
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:50:11 AM »

Nope.
There are no hard and fast rules.
If it works for you then do it.

Lumps

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »

There is a difference between CP rods and level-wind rods, in where they put the cork and reel seats. A lot of level-wind rods have a little trigger underneath them for grip, this would end up being on top because you fish your cp reel down along with the guides.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

coryandtrevor

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »

Good. Its settled then.

If the trigger gets in the way I will just saw it off.

Off to find a steal on a CP !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:25:13 AM by coryandtrevor »

Lumps

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 02:13:50 PM »

Good. Its settled then.

If the trigger gets in the way I will just saw it off.

Off to find a steal on a CP !
Happy hunting!
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »

Hey,

Does ones rod have to be specifically designed for a centerpin to use one ? I bought a 10'6 , 10- 20lb Medium rod and am weighing in on whether I should go for CP or level wind.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Casting a CP rod is a totally diiferent stroke than a baitcaster...with centre pins it's all about leverage.  Besides it's looks just plain goofy seeing a pin way up on the cork of a baitcaster, especially those with trigger fingers.  One of my fishing buddies was teased relentlessly for using that setup....unfortunately, he's never been the same but we always make sure to visit him at least once a year.

coryandtrevor

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »

Should have seen my welfare setup last year. Some rod I found beside the dumpster and my spinning reel. Guys would look at me like I had leprosy. Gotta make sure I get it right this year. My buddies got steel , I got a cold ( and a complex) ;D

Thanks for the advice !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 12:17:23 AM »

As mastercaster has pointed out, the difference between baitcasting and centerpin setups is more than just the trigger reel seat. The longer cork section below the reel seat on a baitcasting rod would start giving you problems (injuries from bad posture) if you choose to use it as a centerpin setup. You're swinging your rod back much further when casting a centerpin reel so that extra length to the rod butt would get in your way between your arm and waist. You would need to lean forward to make clearance everytime you cast.

Centerpin rods do not have to be expensive. Trophy XL makes an inexpensive entry-level rod that is under $100 I believe. The rod is quite light but it would be enough to handle most target salmonids in the Lower Mainland.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:49:33 PM »

one point missed here.... rod blanks have a spine from tip to butt..... location of guide placement "changes" in relation to the spine depending on whether you are building a baitcaster...... or a centerpin/moocher/spinning rod.
Guide spacing also changes, depending on the action of the blank as well. If you are just playin around with an inexpensive rod..... and you don't bust it "fishing it upside down" then why not use a baitcaster with the trigger filed off as a centerpin...... if it works for you...... who cares really.

But... if you are buying an expensive custom or factory rod for that matter..... being able to judge the spine and where the builder put the guides..... is important to many guys. Improperly placed guides in relation to spine is a cause of rod breakage...... improper spacing of guides to distribute load.... is a cause of rod breakage as well.

boring you yet.......  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »

Yes there is a spine so you are just fishing it upside down.
Would be different if you were to turn it sideways but not 180.
Ideally you want the right rod for the reel but in a pinch it works and i ran the better part of two seasons with an old Trudex on a trigger rod.
Nobody bugged me and yes i caught fish.
Like Rod said allready,those Trophy rods are great bang for the buck.

fish bonk

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »

Trophy Xl rods are great! I broke mine and it was warrantied no problem. Not like a Sage where they just send you a blank  ::) Good coho and steelhead rod for a little over $90.!