Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish or Veder/chilliwack river  (Read 1948 times)

Piranha

Squamish or Veder/chilliwack river
« on: December 11, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »

On the weekend I am taking a friiend fishing. He has never fished before so this will be a whole new experience for him and first introduce him to using gear before getting him interested in fly fishing. Question is what river would be good to take him to? Would you recommend squamish or Veder or part of the chilliwack river? I'm not sure because coho season is almost over and steelhead seasonn is just starting. Maybe squamish has a late coho run? i'm not sure so i need your guys opinion :D

Piranha

Re: Squamish or Veder/chilliwack river
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »

nobody knows what river is best to fish this time of year?

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:08 PM »

Vedder river is your best bet for early steelheads now.  For late Cohos, i would say Chehalis ..
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »

but with what happened up at chahalis lake who knows what the river will be like so I would go to the vedder and try for some early run steelys. Good luck
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 09:48:56 AM »

Squamish numbers are definatlely small. There are some dollies and bulls around but it has been pretty slow.
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »

Coho season has pretty much ended for both systems. You may encounter some late coho salmon on the Squamish River but they are most likely coloured. The winter steelhead season has begun on the Chilliwack River, based on some of the local reports in the past few days. The chance of connecting with a steelhead is rather slim this early in the season so it may not be as fun for a new fisherman. My recommendation would be to bring a medium action baitcasting or spinning rod to the Squamish system, and spincast spinners/spoons or float fish with single egg patterns (trout beads, tiny gooey bobs, make sure they are not scented as there is a bait ban) for feeding bull trout, cutthroat trout and rainbow trout. When spincasting hardwares, you'll also have a chance to connect with a coho salmon, so your selection is fairly broad compared to the Chilliwack River. The scenery is also better, which can really enhance the experience even if there is a lack of fish.