Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Outdoors bb for Steelhead  (Read 1962 times)

OGrady

BC Outdoors bb for Steelhead
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:09:35 PM »

BC Outdoors published an article called the "lost art" of bottom bouncing for steelhead. Has anybody read this article in much depth, is it actually of any value or Just andother sad display of unethical fishing methods and are these fish flossed or actively pursuing the pressintation??

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: BC Outdoors bb for Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »

It is definatly a lost art and is an ethical way to fish for steelhead as long as you stick to what the have written. They will not be flossed if you fish the way they told you to fish.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:13:42 PM »

Good article. Worthwhile reading. Describe the proper bottom bouncing technique without resorting to flossing.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:14:11 PM »

I have read the article and i believe that the fish are actually pursuing the bait, i think by bbing, they are putting the bait in the fish's strike zone. I personaling like float fishing for them more. As long as the angler is not using 10 foot leaders, i do not think these fish are being snagged.

OGrady

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:15:35 PM »

thx guys that clears some stuff up

JL

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »

The writer runs Pacific Angler

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:35:32 AM »

Just finished reading a book on steelhead fishing in Washington from the 60's, they cover every way to fish for them except with a float, drift fishing back then was done in much the same way we do it today but without a float.  the weight should be hitting the bottom from time to time to ensure that you bait is in the strike zone. Most typically the leaders are from 8-16 inches depending on the clarity of the water.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:40:49 AM by lucky »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:16:34 AM »

You can floss with a float on or while by bottom bouncing, with a 12 inch leader or a 15 foot leader....lets face it, flossing a fish is something that just about every will do at some point or another....the main difference is #1 if you actually trying to floss the fish and #2 what you personally do with that fish (ie retain or release).

Best advise I can give if you do not want to floss a fish is DON'T SWEEP YOUR DRIFT.  So keep your bail open and let your drift free spool, once you close it down, thats when it will sweep across the river.  Any time your gear is making an arch in the river, thats when you are most likely to floss or snag fish.  If your hook is traveling down stream parallel to the current flow, you are not nearly as apt to floss a fish.   

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »

The writer runs Pacific Angler

The writer OWNES pacific angler.