Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What An Evening Flight  (Read 5626 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
What An Evening Flight
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »

With a slight East wind blowing, and a clear sky this evening I thought it would be a good time to head to a corn field, to bag a web foot or two for the table.

As I reach the field the sun is just setting along the Western horizon. Just after I have parked the Leaf Mobile and start out to set up in the natural hid a dozen or so plump mallards who have been resting in the ditch that bisects the corn field lift off, showing their displeasure of being disturbed by yours truly, quacking loudly. Typical of most species the hens were making the most noise. ;D I have no shells in my 12 gauge pump so they quickly disappear, in the direction of the sun that has disappeared from my sight now only a orange hue, along the horizon.

I set out my lone decoy, a Robo duck on its metal stand, out in tilled corn field, I flip the switch that start the wings into action. It is about 30 yards from where I will be sitting, in the tall grass that rings the field and the ditch. I notice the mallards have eaten a lot of the silage corn that was not been harvested a few months ago. With a lot of the ponds now frozen the mallards sure like to dine on the left over cobs. Many cobs have been stripped of their bright yellow kernels. That fact also makes the birds good table fair for us nimrods that enjoy wild game.

I settle into a clump of taller grass, slip 3 shells into the scatter gun and start scanning the now darkening sky for some duck movement. I have 30 minutes of hunting time left after the sun sets, today it sets at 4:10, the earliest it now will set for the rest of the year.

It does not take long until the first flock of 6 birds appear to my right but they are either wary of the Robo or see this strange figure lying in the light brown grass.They circle a few times, just out of range, not fooled by the Robo and bid us adieu.

The flock has just left when a pair appear, diving quickly in for a good look, wings cupped, I jump, one turns behind me but the other makes the fatal mistake of turning right in front of me, the safety button clicks off, the gun barks and my first duck of the hunt, a drake mallard tumbles.

I quickly retrieve it and slip back to the blind pleased with the one shot and one duck. Now the evening flight is in full swing. Ducks are appearing from every direction, pairs, singles and flocks of all numbers. Most of them seem to want to check out the robo, I pick my shots carefully and 3 more drake mallards join the first. I am 4 for 4, I start to think will I be able to keep this unusual good shooting going. Then I add duck number 5 to the bag, a hen once again on a single shot, she falls into the tall grass but I mark the spot well and I find her with little trouble, O to have a duck dog like the old days. Now I am certainly feeling the pressure, to keep this perfect shooting streak going.

A nice flock is now out in front, I pick the closest bird to me, the trailer of the formation now flaring upwards as I jump to the shooting position. I lead the climbing bird not thinking about the amount of lead to give it, just relying on instinct, from 50 odd years of duck hunting.

One again the gun barks, sending out the number 4 steel shot from the 3 inch Winchester Expert shell. Not only do I see the bird that I am shooting at falling earthward but also does the bird that is just ahead of it. Two ducks in one shot. ;D This of course has happened to me before, a few times but not for a while.

I gather the downed hen mallards and check my count, yes 7, one to go for the limit. Check the watch, 7 minutes of shooting time left. Now will it happen. Ducks are settling in all around the field, I look for that good shot that will do the deed, there it is, a nice drake flaring to the right now realizing its mistake, climbing quickly for a few seconds before the pellets find the mark once again sending the bird into a downward spiral to end the hunt in under 30 minutes.

I gather up the 8 nice birds, the Robo duck and have to make 2 trips back to the Leaf Mobile with the 20 pounds or so of ducks along with the gun and Robo duck being glad the trip was not too far.

Ducks continue to come in as I leave the field very content with 8 ducks in 7 shots, something I had never done before, that I could remember anyway. A trip to remember thats for sure.

I guess those that say things get better with age may be right, now if I can do as well with the steelhead in the months head I may agree.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: What An Evening Flight
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:45:29 PM »

geez only a robo out? haha thats like shooty fish in a barrel chris. When are we going out?  ;D
i havent been out in a couple weeks.. shot a nice hen mallard and green wing teal last time...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:53 PM »

geez only a robo out? haha thats like shooty fish in a barrel chris. When are we going out?  ;D
i havent been out in a couple weeks.. shot a nice hen mallard and green wing teal last time...
You are right, almost as bad as flossing. ;D ;D ;D

Thats why I call it a flossing robo duck. ;D ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »

hmmmmm.... only been out the 3 times myself..... rather hunt a corn field than wade the muck again this year.
Hmmmm i think i hear my 870 express calling from me from the gun vault  ;D
that was a great read Chris..... and congrats on the fancy shootin  ;)

speycaster

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:14:24 AM »

Hey Chris what do you do with the flank feathers from those mallards, maybe i could talk you into saving me some. Might even exchange some flies for them, you must fish stillwater.

Mel

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »

Hey Chris what do you do with the flank feathers from those mallards, maybe i could talk you into saving me some. Might even exchange some flies for them, you must fish stillwater.

Mel
Sorry Mel I had not checked in here for a while but remind me next season and I will save some for you.