Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with new fly rod and reel  (Read 10007 times)

jinyu

Help with new fly rod and reel
« on: November 27, 2007, 11:20:06 AM »

Want to learn fly fishing and need expert's advice on the fly rod and reel setup.

I am planning to use #8 weight fly rod to target salmon. Not sure I am OK to use this rod to do local lake rainbow trout fishing. I wish to buy Redington's RS3 9082 or St. Croix Reign 908.2 fly rod. Are these rods acceptable for beginners?

For fly reel, I am going to buy G. Loomis Venture Model 7 or Pflueger Trion 1978 or 1990. Do these reels match the fly rod I am going to buy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

YY

Re: Help with new fly rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »

I have a Redington rs3 5wt rod and the construction is beautiful. If you look around enough, the current price and quality of this rod are great for beginners. Coincidentally, I also have the Trion 1978 reel for salmon fishing, which has proved to be a great value and esthetically pleasing. However, I would recommend going for the 1990 size for more backing capacity since it is considered to be a mid-arbor reel. Hope that helps.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »

There is also a new company on the market that is putting together an amazing package that will only be carried by a few shops. You will get the rod(identical to the sage z-axis),reel(identical to the reddington sv series)+ cassette, two fly lines, tippets and a chest pack for $199. Rod has a lifetime warranty. I believe they are coming out in the new year. I will try to get the name.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »

Hatch Matcher's in Maple Ridge has 10% off all sage rods and if you buy a fly rod you get a rio fly line free.

They have also marked down their reddingtons to reflect the dollar.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

quillgordon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:59:04 PM »

How about a temple fork signature with an okuma SLV reel.  Should cost less than $200.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »

Want to learn fly fishing and need expert's advice on the fly rod and reel setup.

I am planning to use #8 weight fly rod to target salmon. Not sure I am OK to use this rod to do local lake rainbow trout fishing.

An 8 weight rod is definately over kill when fishing in local lakes for bows. A 5 or 6 weight rod is ideal.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »

There is also a new company on the market that is putting together an amazing package that will only be carried by a few shops. You will get the rod(identical to the sage z-axis),reel(identical to the reddington sv series)+ cassette, two fly lines, tippets and a chest pack for $199. Rod has a lifetime warranty. I believe they are coming out in the new year. I will try to get the name.

That sounds loke a skookum deal....hard to believe the rod could be as good as the sage, though, at that price.  If you find out more can you let me know.  I'd like to pick one up for my daughter.

brent

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:04:34 AM »

I am planning to use #8 weight fly rod to target salmon. Not sure I am OK to use this rod to do local lake rainbow trout fishing. I wish to buy Redington's RS3 9082 or St. Croix Reign 908.2 fly rod. Are these rods acceptable for beginners?

For fly reel, I am going to buy G. Loomis Venture Model 7 or Pflueger Trion 1978 or 1990. Do these reels match the fly rod I am going to buy?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Im no expert but if you are just starting out, go cheap. Go so cheap that you can trash on the line and rod and have no worries and then learn how to take care of the things as you learn. I picked up a new fly rod ( $10 Army and Navy ) a new reel ( $15 at Crappy Tire ) and new Veddar fly line from Army and Navy ( $14 ). I have since lost that setup to Davy Jones Locker and I didnt feel so bad. Lifetime warranty wont cover breaking the rod in door jam of your car either. Try craigslist vancouver for really good deals. After xmas is a good time and you might actually get some pre-owned quality stuff. I gota nice 4/5 Cortland rod with a fabric case , and a nice Okuma reel with an extra spool + two quality floating lines for $50, all in excellent shape.

Good Luck
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »

That sounds loke a skookum deal....hard to believe the rod could be as good as the sage, though, at that price.  If you find out more can you let me know.  I'd like to pick one up for my daughter.

brent

This same company has produced a sturgeon rod that is built just like the technium and when you cover up the names you can not tell the difference. The only difference is the price which is only around $80. I will go to the shop tomorrow and get the name of the company. I know that Hatch Matchers will be one of a few dealers in the lower mainland.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 08:01:13 PM »

So the company is amundson. Saw the cataloge today and their stuff is identical to sage for the fly rods, right down to the colour. They are even coming out with a 4 piece spey rod that comes in a really nice looking metal case that looks like a big brief case with combo lock. Even has a spot for a reel. The warranty is lifetime($25 fee when you ship it) but the first year is over the counter. They are located in Burnaby.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »

Nothing like a cheap knock-off brand ::)

Jinyu, depending on where you're located there are some great flyshops around the lower mainland that I could suggest to get good solid advice and service.

The gear you've selected is solid and good, but if you'd like to post what sort of budget you've got there is a ton of stuff to choose from and some of us might be able to suggest.

Cheers

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

has anyone tried the Amundson products that fly guy speaks of????  sounds like a steal to me. almost to good to be true.
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:57:57 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/amundson/amundson.ppt

MS Power Point required to view the above link.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »

has anyone tried the Amundson products that fly guy speaks of????  sounds like a steal to me. almost to good to be true.

I have never tried them on the water. I did have a few in my hand at the Fraser Valley Sportsmans show last year.

The price is great, BUT i did find that the quality of workmanship was not very good.

the rod guides were not in line (off by as much as 1/4"), the finish was poor to say the least (kind of goopy), and the ones that I had in my hand had slightly warped corks. I was looking for a inexpensive rod to make up a beginners package for my beginner students that I teach in my flyfishing classes and thought that these may be a great start, but after taking a closer look at them I decided to stay away. They may have got better in the past year, but take a close look before you buy them. 

Rick Passek
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 08:19:17 PM »

I suggest if you want to have a look at some of the new rods go to searun fly and tackle as they have them in stock.