Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: COQUITLAM RIVER  (Read 3171 times)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
COQUITLAM RIVER
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:29:05 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has any comments or information on the current problem of the Coquitlam Dam releasing huge amounts of water into the river? This topic was briefly discussed in an other topic, but I would like to hear more about it because I feel it is having a major negative impact on this river (ex. Salmon!).

Thank you,
                                                                              Michael Thom
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:23:39 PM by Michaelt »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: COQUITLAM RIVER
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:23:52 PM »

Definately will have a negative effect....A Major one if they keep it going till the time that they said!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:31:44 PM »

This is not good, the dam will destroy all of the redds. I was told that the dam was supposed to be open for 3 months.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:59:20 AM »

On the plus side it may help to flush all the sediment that was deposited by CEWE gravel operation over the years. That silty stuff has covered over alot of the old spawning areas. They do need to study the impacts before and after if they were diligent about protecting the fishery in there. My guess is they won't.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »

They are letting water out of the dam so that water flow from Coquitlam lake to Buntzen lake will stop so they can repair a part of that channel. The damn will probably be open till at least January from what I have heard. The Biologist I spoke to said they have no idea what "effects" (negative or positive) this will have on the salmon stocks until they do their fry capture/count in the spring.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

They are letting water out of the dam so that water flow from Coquitlam lake to Buntzen lake will stop so they can repair a part of that channel. The damn will probably be open till at least January from what I have heard. The Biologist I spoke to said they have no idea what "effects" (negative or positive) this will have on the salmon stocks until they do their fry capture/count in the spring.

Right!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:06:41 PM »

On the plus side it may help to flush all the sediment that was deposited by CEWE gravel operation over the years. That silty stuff has covered over alot of the old spawning areas. They do need to study the impacts before and after if they were diligent about protecting the fishery in there. My guess is they won't.

Definately a possibility, but I still feel that there are more cons than pros.  :(

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 12:16:26 AM »

Heard that the river's clarity has increased, can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone know of new news about the Coquitlam dam?

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 10:16:45 PM »

I haven't seen the river my self but my friend says that the clarity has increased.

steelhead nick

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »

I've past over the Kingsway bridge couple of times and I noticed that the clarity of the water has gotten better. But its super high and the water is fast.