Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Never Caught So Many Chinook, Nov.7, 2007  (Read 2615 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Never Caught So Many Chinook, Nov.7, 2007
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »

With permits from FOC and the Province in hand 5 of us representing some stewardship groups left Gill Road in a jet boat at 8:00 am. The mission was to see what species of salmonids we would find along the gravel bars above the Agassiz Rosedale Bridge. Some of these fish rearing bars are slated for gravel removal in 2008 with the thought of some this gravel excavation destroys fish habitat. The method of capturing the fish was to use a fine meshed beach seine that would cause no harm to the fish.

The concern once again is these bars are very valuable rearing grounds for many species of fish. Being late in the year and temperatures nearing a time when the fish seem to go into hiding when water temperatures near 4 degrees some of us wondered if we would locate many. Today the sounder said 6 so the hope was we would find some fish.

We were not disappointed as we found several species that included chinook, coho, sockeye, cutthroat trout,white fish, chub, suckers, long-nosed dace,sculpins and red sided shiners. I may have missed some others as I am no fish biologist, my job was to video and take still photo's.

Chinooks that measured up to 10 cm made up the majority of the fish netted, measured and then released. I believe we identified over 200 of these shiny little beauty's, our future adult fish we hope to catch after they smolt and head out to the ocean for a number of years before returning past the bars we were at today, on their way to their natal streams, hundreds of miles where we found them today.

This is just a brief account of the day and I am tired after 8 hours on the water so I hope I have made no glaring errors on this report. Of course the hope is some media attention to this will prevent the loss of this valuable fish habitat in the name of gravel removal that some say is for flood protection while others say it is just for gravel to feed the construction industry.

We all know in the past so many streams and fish habitat has been lost to development that is partly why our fish stocks are in decline. Maybe it is time to put the fish first, for a change, hopefully we may have helped do that today in some small way, time will tell I guess.

Dr. Backlash

Re: Never Caught So Many Chinook, Nov.7, 2007
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:54:17 PM »

Why are "Some of these fish rearing bars slated for gravel removal in 2008"?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:35:59 PM »

Like Chris said Money  >:(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »

It's all about the money.  I don't mean to be too rude here, but I have been ranting about gravel extraction in rivers on this forum for a few years now.  IMO, many Canadian leaders have either sold out or are a couple beers short of a six pack or both.  I have heard all kinds of reasons; none of which hold any water.  I'm grateful that Chris is doing something about this.  Hopefully, his work will influence someone to put a stop to this raping of the environment.  Personally, I'm kind of surprised that a dam has not been built on the lower Fraser and a fish ladder built leading directly into the First Nations slaughter house.  

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:16:58 AM »

That was absolutely brilliant, Chris. A preemptive media strike to draw attention to the ignorant and negligent decision makers.
I sincerely hope that it works in favor of the fish stock.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:28:03 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 07:50:14 PM »

Watch for an article on this topic this week in the Chilliwack Progress.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:11:16 PM »

Check today's Chilliwack Progress web page for the story.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:13:19 PM by chris gadsden »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:03:15 PM »

Chris ,can i please borrow that net next August for a week or so? ;) :D

Glad to see this attention brought about on this subject.