Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Its Webfoot Time  (Read 4167 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Its Webfoot Time
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:06:42 PM »

With the Chilliwack Vedder River in the tank today it was time to hang up the rod and trade it in for a nimrod or I guess I am the nimrod. ;D ;D
I had spotted a field I have permission to hunt on with a 100 or so birds in it, on my return drive back from the short lived morning fishing trip.

After a welcome nap to make myself sharp for shooting I looked for my decoys but only could find the robo duck. I forgot the other decoys were in storage. ::) As I was anxious to get to the field I would go it alone, with the robo.

On arrival with the rain still pelting down it certainly gave one the feeling it was duck hunting time. I always have had a passion for it and I remember going with friends when I was only 6 years old. We used to scare ducks up from some lakes near Duncan, on Vancouver Island us young people's job was to drive them over the shooters. At this time of year we bought fire crackers to make the ducks lift off. I can still smell the Tee Brush that surrounded the lakes. How I wanted a gun and I could not wait to come of age, finally I got a single shot 12 gauge. Then I was scared to fire it, afraid of the recoil. Then I wished for when the day came that I could hunt without a adult, then to learn to drive so I could travel to Cowichan Bay to hunt. Before I had my driver's license I rode my bike the 7 miles to The Bay, gun and decoys on the handle bars my trusty hunting dog Queenie running beside me. Imagine doing that these days down the main Island Highway if you and your dog made it safely you would most likely been arrested for carrying a gun on your bike. Those were the days.

I had great hunts with my dear friend the late Denis Gaunt there. I can still see this English gentelmen with his English made double barrel in the crook of his arms, a wisp of smoke coming from his pipe, the smell was appealing. He always had his tea which even if the ducks were flying tea time came first. He shot Canuck heavy load #6 shot. I would buy him a case of shells at Army and Navy, around $3 a box.
Denis if he wounded a bird he would search until he found it. He would be in his boat circling the area, meanwhile scaring other ducks away from me but finding the bird was his #1 priority as it should be.

The cold winter days when the inland waters froze drove the birds there, with snow blowing what could be better. I remember one of those cool January days when I shot well for a change, getting two greenwing teal on one shot to start the day. As well that day I got most species of puddle ducks, a mallard, pintail, northern shoveler, wigeon and yes even a canvasback. O what great memories of a fine hunt along with a very fine man. I almost forgot Denis was completely deaf, he read your lips when we talked. I remember ducks low over his head that he did not see of course he could not hear their wings whistling.

Back to the present.

As I arrive at the field a few ducks are there, I scare them away hoping they will return. The robo is put together and in no time I am nestled in the natural blind, sitting on a old milk crate, easier than standing or sitting in the mud of the field.

I search the darken sky horizon looking for that formation of birds. The first birds are two geese chattering as they approach, it gives them away. I eject the duck load, I quickly thrust in the goose load only to have the birds move by, way out of range. Back goes the duck load in, #3 steel shot.

Finally a good flock moves into view, they are interested in the mechanical duck as two break formation, wings cupped, there are in range , I vault from my portable chair. I instintally move the gun's barrel onto the closest bird, a hen mallard, the gun barks, the duck folds. I move to the other bird, a drake, two quick shots just quicken the birds wings, he is gone. I retrieve the downed bird, a nice plump one, nice eating ahead.

I once again settle in, watching, waiting and hoping for more ducks to be fooled by the robo.

A flock of about 75 cackler geese appear overhead, heading South for the Winter talking loudly to each other, will they fly all night or set down for a rest or some food somewhere here in the Valley?

Talking about settling in for the night I must too as I am just too tired to finish this story, will in the AM before I leave for another day afield, seeking the webfoot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:46:09 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Its Webfoot Time
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:15:10 AM »

Continue now.

As the wait continues I hear the bird of another kind, a plane, is motors drone can be heard above the cloud cover, heading to maybe a sunnier climate. To me this is the best place on earth to be, I love the Fall and the Winter months ahead. I would not want to miss this hunting, the start of the steelhead season not that far away, this is Lotus Land to me but of course everyone is different. Maybe one day I will become a snowbird too when age prevents these activities but now I will enjoy everyday I can, in a duck field or on some river, lake or ocean.

A few flocks flying a little lower than the plane that is now a hundred miles away pass by, ignoring the robo that continues to flap its white, grey and blue wings, calling out silently, come to me.

Finally a lone duck appears, it circles cautiously checking the robo out, finally the drake mallard drops into range, it is right above me, 35 yards up, the gun as it has for many years finds my right shoulder.
One shot sends the duck spiralling down, I have to jump sideways to prevent being hit by it. Its a very nice bird in its full Winter plumage. Sometimes I feel bad for what I am doing but I believe birds, like this duck now in hand, as well asanimals and fish have been put here by God for our use. Some will differ, I respect that opinion.

Darkness is now closing in and the bird activity picks up some, a good size flock comes in to my solitary decoy, I aim once again at the closet bird, 3 shots follow with no success, my record goes from 2 for 4 to 2 for 7.
Time now to pick up, shooting time is nearly over, 30 minutes after sunset. As I go to the robo a lone duck is above me, in range, 2 quick shots only find air again,I now am disgusted with my poor shooting. With everything now packed up all I can now think of is doing better tomorrow (now today).

I am satisfied though with the brace and I will look forward to tomorrow's hunt and this time a few more duck decoys and goose silhouettes will be joining the robo, once again in search of a few more webfoots.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:50:10 AM by chris gadsden »

2slow

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »

Good story thanks Chris.......I haven't been out duck hunting in a few years makes me want to get out the shotgun

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »

nice job chris, the northern birds should be arriving. nothing better than a morning of coho fishing followed by an evening quacker hunt.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.