Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harrison River October 12th, 2007: The Ultimate Adventure Indeed  (Read 2062 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

For the last several years, Randy (aka Randog on the forum) and I have worked together in several different projects since we met each other. He is an active member at the BC Federation of Driftfishers and has helped out at several youth events including this year's Fish for the Future. In spring 2004 he put together a cleanup after seeing his beloved Coquitlam River being invaded by litters, many members on the forum attended it. We've bumped into each other from time to time while fishing. I remember once sharing my secret wool colour for those Squamish chum salmon to him at the Mamquam River mouth. ;D

After some recent plannings, we decided to tackle the Harrison River together on October 12th. His new business venture Ultimate Sportfishing is growing fast, so being able to fish together during his peak guiding season is an opportunity not to be missed. I invited Carlo and Shane along, and we were joined by Dave, a retired school teacher. At 8:00am, we were off on Randog jet from Island 22. The target species was coho salmon. Randy thought that we should be able to find some fish. I was somewhat skeptical, it is still early October after all. Nevertheless, the sky was clearing, the water condition is great, the day was going to be a good one. :)

Our first stop allowed us to fish both the main stream and a back channel. Within a couple of casts in the side channel that was crowded with chum salmon, I found myself with a jack coho salmon at the end of the line. Meanwhile, Carlo was fighting something slightly bigger, which turned out to be a hefty northern pikeminnow. ;D After spending a couple of hours at both sides of the river, we decided to make a move further upstream.

The river was surely busy for a Friday. We were amazed. Chum salmon were already quite abundant in the river, while some remaining spawning pink salmon could still be seen. I took advantage of this by doing some more underwater video in the side channels.

Our first real action came when Dave connected with a coho salmon on a chartreuse Vibrax. The fish attacked the lure just metres ahead of where he was standing. It leaped and rolled, which was quite typical for silvers. Randy grabbed the big net, the fish darted upstream. Dave continued to keep the tension on the line, but the coho won this battle in the end as it freed itself from the hook.

Seeing the first chromer showing itself, I quickly dropped the camera back in the boat and took out my trusty spoon. It only took a few casts before I had a good take. I set the hook, a silvery/grey body surfaced in the horizon. I screamed, "Coho! Randy, grab the net!" Randy replied, "Wait, I'll grab the camera!"

"No! Grab the net Randy!" ;D

It took a few good runs in the main current. When it finally surfaced in front of us, we had a good chuckle because the coho salmon looked kind of like a pink salmon. ;D Pink salmon it was, and a big one too. In fact, I suspected that it was the biggest pink salmon I've ever caught on my line. :o Randy dropped the net into the water and gave it a scoop so we could get a photo of this beast, even though it was not at its best shape.

With a few chum and pink salmon caught in the morning and no coho salmon to be seen, my skepticism was beginning to come true. :-\ Randy decided to make another move to see if we could find a spot where coho salmon were holding. We arrived at his chosen location, and it looked very coho worthy indeed. underwater logs sitting in 6 to 8 feet deep of water, if there were coho in the river, we should be able to catch them.

I made my first cast to the deep portion of the run. As it fluttered its way down, I felt a good tug and set the hook hard. The headshakes seemed like a coho salmon. It stayed deep down the entire time before it came off after a minute or so. This run felt fishy. :)

By 2:30pm, the sun was fully out, water was crystal clear. Just when all hopes were gone, I started spotting coho salmon rolling in front of a submerged log. I jumped up and down with excitement in the water, telling the guys in the boat that the fish were here. Apparently food was more important. :P Dave and I hammered that piece of juicy water with our spoons. At times, I spotted coho salmon following my spoon slowly as I retrieved it, only to turn away in the last second. The sight was both exciting and frustrating! :o I continued informing the guys about all the underwater activities, but they didn't seem so motivated. :P

The fish were obviously tight lipped, but from past experience, the bite could easily turn on suddenly. This is why coho salmon is such an interesting freshwater gamefish. Their behaviours can be so mysterious, making every single success that much more enjoyable.

At 3:00pm, just when Randy said to me, "so Rod, I thought you are the coho...", before the sentence finished, I felt a quick snap and set the hook hard. The light spinning rod shook vigorously, indicating a coho salmon at the end of the line. I started walking backward slowly from the waist deep water, while keeping the line tide. The guys started walking over to see the action. Randy stood with the net ready, while Shane took some action photos. I finally made onto dry land, with the fish coming in slowly. Randy was quite happy, but I said, "This fish has not woken up yet." Beside a few head shakes, this fish simply swam toward us slowly without a fight. I knew that was all about to change once the fish reached the shallow water. The silver body emerged, we estimated it to be 8 to 10lb! Randy was still quite excited, I was cautious, Shane said, "It's not over yet." As expected, the fish took one sporatic run as its belly hits the river bed. It remained on the line. It took another short run, and the dreadful pop happened once again! >:( The spoon came skipping back to us on the water surface. This fish was long gone. :'(

I stood there deflated, then we all bursted into laughter. A quick hook change, I made my way back to the same spot and casted the magic spoon out again. For some reason, one fish still didn't motivate the guys. They went back into the boat and sunbathed! :o Randy joined me for a few casts. It only took a few casts for me to hook the next fish. This fish obviously followed the spoon in, as I hooked it just several feet from the end of the rod tip. It again, quickly fell off the hook just seconds after the hookup. ::) It obviously wasn't the hook, but the hooker, pardon my language, the hook-setter. :P

A few more dozen casts were made, again another coho salmon grabbed my spoon just in front of me. This time I set the hook firmly, kept the fishing rod low and the line tight. The fish leaped and rolled just like all the other ones. I made my way back to shore, the guys were around me again. Randy walked into the water. I guided the fish in. With one scoop, the first coho of the day was finally netted. :D The fish was estimated to be around 5 or 6lb. Its body was incredibly bright, just like all the other ones we had seen in the school.

With the only coho landed by now, I now had this big grin on my face. Randy went back out, made one cast, set the hook, a coho came flying out of the water! Now I became the netter. He brought the fish in quickly, and the second coho salmon was landed in no time. ;D He is the Ultimate Fishing guide after all. ;)

Meanwhile, Carlo managed to briefly hook two coho salmon. He is a catch and release fisherman after all. ;)

After taking a short timeout to reflect what had just happened, I went back out hoping for another catch. Seeing all the action, Shane finally went into my box and snatched a spoon. He stood beside me and both of us worked the same piece of water again. While discussing retrieving speed, another coho salmon once again took a bite at my spoon right in front of us. ;) I set the hook, Shane cursed, the fish made splashes, I walked back toward Randy. The smallish coho made a few high leaps and ran around in a circle, almost crashing into our feet at times. I played it carefully for a little while in the shallows before Randy was able to scoop up my second fish of the outing. It was around 3 to 4lb, just as bright as the other fish. :)

All of the coho landed were wild, so they were of course sent back to where they belong. :)

We decided to end the day on this high note and headed back to Island 22. This was indeed an ultimate salmo fishing trip. The guide found us the fish, which were picky at times, but cooperated (for some ;) ) in the end.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:00:41 PM by Rodney »

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Harrison River October 12th, 2007: The Ultimate Adventure Indeed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »

nice report sounds like you guys did well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »

I just added the rest of the photos in. :)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:17:30 PM »

great read as usual!