Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deer hunting  (Read 5956 times)

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
Deer hunting
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:28:59 PM »

what a trip....my daughter and i got home last night from hunting region 7 for the youth antlerless season.

Friday we saw 3 moose, one was a cow and her LEGAL spike calf (no tag) and the other was a huge bull..just before dark we followed a few whitetail does deep into the woods with them not presenting a shot.

Saturday morning we started out from camp walking on game trails looking for a fat doe or buck for my daughters first big game animal. At around 9am we walked into three does bedded down, they saw us first and took off without even stopping to look back. We decided to try and wrap around and see if we could maybe cut them off..an hour and half later we walked up onto them again bedded down, i noticed their white stomachs and was quickly dropped to my knees motioning my daughter to get down too. Just as she did they stood up and two of the three took off right away. I extended the bipod and she shouldered my rifle aiming at the deer, waiting...the one that stuck behind was behind some bushes not persenting the best shot, what seemed like forever she finally came out and was in the clear and stopped to get a better look at us.... I told Ashley to fired when she was ready. She counted 1-2-3 and fired. The Whitetail Doe ran not very far...i could see it running off like it had a wobbly front end and new it was hit hard. We waited maybe 10 minutes and went to see her trophy

Ashley was shooting my Mossberg 30-06 with 168 gr ammo, her deer was about 100 or so yards out.

On Saturday evening we saw a 6ft'ish silver griz on the logging road, just as i was grabbing my camera it was gone!

Sunday on the way out we saw three mule deer in a farmers field, one 3x3 buck and two does. So we watch them for a while and decide to go and knock on the farmers door and ask permission to shoot the buck. (I was going to let Ashley shoot again) He gives us the ok only if we clean the deer else where and not on his property. We got back to the other end where we saw them and they were gone....oh well next time.

I'm pretty proud of Ashley, shes been doing good at the range at targets @ 100 yards and new if given the opportunity she could do it.

Derp

• Tight lines!
Re: Deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »

RIGHT ON! good for her

nice whiteh!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »

Well done, getting that first deer is exciting.

2slow

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:03:13 PM »

Nice job

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:20:14 AM »

way to go, i'm goin thanksgiving weekend, hopefully the woods will be empty, of people atleast.
Fish killer 101

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:46:47 AM »

good show... you outta be real proud of that girl.....  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:44:07 AM »

What is a spike deer ?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »

a 2 year old buck with only 1 antler spike sticking out of his head. I'm goin for 4 points, which means 4 points on each side of the bucks head
Fish killer 101