Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: October 2007 freshwater salmon fishing opportunities in Region 2  (Read 1991 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Every month I receive a Microsoft Excel file from DFO that outlines the freshwater salmon opportunities available in Region 2 for that particular month. It is what I use as a reference when people have a question on openings and closures. I've decided to post this up and see if it is useful to other forum members. If it is, please let me know and I'll do the same for future months.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/file/2007_10_region2.xls

Please note that this does not include additional openings and closures announced in fishery notices released during the month of October 2007.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
Re: October 2007 freshwater salmon fishing opportunities in Region 2
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »

hey rod i  think its a great idea,
but we still have to check the notice list
for more imediate openings and closures
maybe you could include a link to that
at the tail end,
   cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »

I think what I can do is to post this summary each month, then add all the relevant notices to this region in this thread so people can just go to one place to check all the information they need.

Coho in the Stave yet? ;)

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 05:43:25 PM »

great resource Rod.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
FN0746-Recreational - Salmon: Region 2 - Area 28 Summary
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=104967&ID=recreational

The following listings are the current salmon daily limits and Management Measures in place for Area 28 (tidal portion only).

All Salmon Species:

From August 1 to December 31, 2007
It is prohibited to use more than one single-pointed hook in the tidal waters of the Seymour River from the BCR Railway bridge downstream to the fishing boundary signs located on the west and east shore of the Seymour River. Each hook must have a single point that measures no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook.

From  August 1 to  December 31, 2007
It is prohibited to use more than two single-pointed hooks in tandem (as when fishing with bait) in the waters of Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier to Prospect Light on the seawall of Stanley Park to the north tower of the Lions Gate Bridge. Each hook must have a single point that measures no greater than 15 mm between the point and shank of the hook.

Chinook:
Area 28 open until December 31. 2 per day with a minimum size limit of 62 cm.

Coho:
Subareas 28-1 to 28-10 open until December 31. 2 hatchery marked fish per day.

Subareas 28-11 to 28-14 (Burrard Inlet east of Second Narrows/ Iron Workers Memorial Bridge, Indian Arm and Port Moody Arm) open from October 1 to March 31. Non-retention.

Pink:
Area 28 open until  December 31 except  for subarea 28-3 to 28-5 and that portion of subarea 28-2 that lies northerly of a line from Halkett Point on Gambier Island 62° true to a boundary sign north of Alberta Bay. 4 per day.

Subarea 28-3 to 28-5 and that portion of subarea 28-2 that lies northerly of a line from Halkett Point on Gambier Island 62° true to a boundary sign north of Alberta Bay open until December 31. 2 per day.

Chum:
Area 28 open until December 31. 4 per day

There is an aggregate daily limit of four salmon per day from all tidal and non-tidal waters of the Province.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia. 

The term hatchery marked means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.