Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A large pink salmon from the Cheakamus River  (Read 5040 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: A large pink salmon from the Cheakamus River
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »

Wow that is big. Hey Rodney any word on how the returns did this year. I was up there in August with the fly rod and there seemed to be alot of fish around but I may just of hit it on a good day.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »

I forgot to mention that bkk from the forum provided most of that information, thanks again! The run size has not been determined and will only be released when the season is over. I'll post if I receive any information on that.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:36:12 PM »

Would that be bigger or smaller pre spawn? it would be fatter but wouldnt have the badass hump. either way huge pink

Schenley

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:47:54 PM »

Awww- all you young guys have to reinvent the wheel--- big? Yes-- but nowhere near the size of the occasional fish that us old farts used to see in the Check 40 yrs ago.  Trying to get through the stinkies to get at the coho was a big challenge back in the "Da good old days!"   

I personally took a pink next to Fregies , that was weighed and released at a touch over 14 lbs. At that time, it would have been a world record for fresh water. But I had to let it go-- the record remained in Alaska.   DFO was still under the delusion that the "net species" wouldnt bite in fresh water. Therefore if you caught one-- it had to been snagged.

Yep-- you younguns have NO idea how good it was and how we managed to screw it up! :(

Schenley

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »

If it had been legal to keep-- it would have been a IGFA record for freshwater

Presently---
IGFA Record: 15 lb. 3 oz fish taken from Kenai River in Alaska on August 9th, 1987 by Stan Roach
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:37:29 PM by Schenley »

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »

Hmmmpphh...that one is a tad bigger than my 11+ lber from a couple years back.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »

hey rodney,

is there anyway of finding out how many of each species come of the squamish river + tribs? i would love to know the number.....
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »

hey rodney,

is there anyway of finding out how many of each species come of the squamish river + tribs? i would love to know the number.....

The regional biologists and resource managers would have those figures. I'll ask my contacts and see if those could be obtained.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »

awesome, thanks
always a student

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »

Dereke,

There are no hard numbers for the Squamish system as stock assesment runs no programs up here. What I can tell you is based on best guess and experience of what I and other people see when working on the system. For pinks this year, the Mamquam may of had 20 000 fish which is about what the broodyear was 2 years ago. The Cheakamus around 10 000 fish up from the 4 000 2 years ago. Upper squamish tribs about 20 000 pinks. When you add it up it was a a fairly average year. Certainly a far cry from 2 cycles ago.
 Chinook this year ( and the last few) are a total disaster. My guess is well under 1000 fish for the watershed. This is based on native catch and spawner escapements ( which there was none). I would walk sections of streams at what is peak spawner time and see no fish, carcasses or redds.
Chum are just starting to arrive but typically between 100 - 300 000 fish. I have seen both more and less over the years so you never know.
Coho the last few years have been very poor. Hopefully better this year but I would not hold my breath. If you truely want to fish  coho, go to the Vedder. The Squamish is a best known for the chum any way (at least now).

As Schenley said, we have no idea how badly we have screwed up this system. He is right, this system is just a pitiful reminder of what it once was. And don't even get me going on what has happened to the steelhead.

As general info I hope you find this interesting but it is not gospel.