Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: thoughts on the Vedder  (Read 1619 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
thoughts on the Vedder
« on: September 23, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »

After fishing the Vedder river for the past three days I had some thoughts. First off every fall I am simply amazed at the shear numbers of people that flock to Chilliwack to partake in the salmon fishery. As much as it burns me to get to one of my favorite runs at first light only to find five guys already there, it is a great thing to see so many people with so much passion for the same leisure activity. The revenue brought into the local economy must be stagering, everywhere you stop out there fisherman are buying something. At times it is frustrating when you see anglers doing questionable or unsporting acts, but most of this is only due to lack of experience or ignorance. When you see someone fishing in an unethical or illegal manner don't just assume they are poachers or lowlifes, give them the benefit of the doubt and offer some kind advice instead of just griping about what you have witnessed. In most cases you will find people are more than willing to learn new techniques from a more experienced angler. Today for example a couple of fellows were fishing some really shallow water where some pinks were spawning, another forum member was leaving and nicely explained to the gents that the fish were on their spawning beds and that wasn't the best location to fish, and I bet the next time they are out they will probably think of this. Also I believe there is never any dumb questions, one novice angler was overheard asking "does the colour of float matter?" Soon after the same guy was asked if he knew how to identify a pink salmon, his response was that "pink salmon are the ones with the silver bellies". After a good chuckle we tried to explain the differences in salmon species, you are never too old to learn new things and everybody has to start somewhere. Remember the more educated anglers we have on our rivers, the more anglers we will have to care and look out for this valuable resource
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 05:17:51 PM by lucky »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: thoughts on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »

Very thoughtful post

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »

It could be a full time job that for sure.

This evening while visiting the Blue Cup in the Lower Vedder a chap brough a male pink to shore. He proceededs to take the hook out and then leave it flopping on the shore. I watched this for a minute as his partner was near this helpless fish.

I then asked him if his partner who was now back casting it he was going to retain it, he said yes so I politely said if he could dispatch that would be good which he quickly did sending it to fish heaven.

This would be a good project for one fishing organization's "Pathway to Fishing" project as they could help out a lot of new people that arrive on our rivers at this time of year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 08:58:04 PM »

Actually, I think this would be a good project for the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and it would only take up a small % of that fund in the account. ;) A information sheet (regular size, 2 sided) should be developed for entry-level anglers. Information included on this sheet should be.

• General regulations (general gear restriction, daily quotas for this particular season, dispatching fish immediately, etc).
  • Reminder or introduction (new anglers simply don't know) of general conducts such as picking up own litter, acceptable fishing space, etc.
  • Important notice such as clipped Cultus Lake sockey salmon.
  • and finally contacts of enforcement agencies.

These information sheets can then be left at all tacklestores so clerks can hand them out to entry-level anglers who intend to fish the Vedder River. Society members and conservation officers can also carry some and give them to people at the river if they need assistance.

The cost of this would involved a few volunteer hours, and a few hundred dollars depending on how many thousands of copies need to be made.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »

I still think it would be a good program for the Drift Fishers as they have the Pathway To Fishing program already in place.

For me, my plate is quite full at this time and once the BC River's Day event is completed which of course is a fair amount of work, I going fishing, there is coho to be caught. ;D ;D ;D