Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sep 20.2007 Pinks, a surprise and one great day.  (Read 2764 times)

Plum Smugglah

Vedder Sep 20.2007 Pinks, a surprise and one great day.
« on: September 21, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »

Hey all,

My brother in law and myself decided to skip work (hehe) and go fishing.  We’ve arrived at the location at about 8 am; there were 4 people there already.  Rain was coming down hard, risers down stream o’ plenty, perfect day for fishing!!!  Firs cast out (pink wool) hit, fish on, got it in the net, small male.  Judging by the day we were going to have I let him go.  Second cast, fish on judging by the way she was running and the hard time I had trying to land her, she was hooked.  Long before I got her in she got loose.  Couple of pinks later and due to lost leader I went with orange wool.  At about 10:30 few casts in I got a hit but this time my line just flew off my reel, I also saw big silver flash in the water I was pretty sure it was not a pink (I’m still a noob so I had no idea what it could‘ve been).  Within about 10 mins I had the fish in.  There was definitely a lot of silver in the water, it turned out to be a hatchery Coho.  At about noon I was at my quota for pinks had my Coho and had a blast.  CO came by checked every ones fish, hooks and licenses, must say that he did not half a$$ his job.  Good on him!!! 

8am – 12pm   about ten fish on, few broken leaders, few that got away, I’ve let three go, kept two and my Coho.

Funny little add on, we just got our fresh water licenses two weeks ago as we’ve done most of our fishing this summer on the ocean.  This is our first year fishing over all.  Having said that, I got my rod as one of those wicked Wal-Mart specials for 24.99 lol, I mean pinks are a stretch but when that Coho hit that rod was at its wits end.  I think the test on it is 7 lbs…lmao.  Makes it for great fishing.  All in all it was a great day.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Sep 20.2007 Pinks, a surprise and one great day.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »

Good to hear that the fish are arriving right on schedule.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »

Good work - sounds like a successful day out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 04:13:58 PM »

Oooh, time to defrost some roe... ;D This is such a tease. ;)

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »

Congrats on the fish. Was also able to get out later in the day to the Lower Vedder.  The little bit of rain received has pushed in some fresh fish into the river. Hopefully, it will not rain too much more, as too much rain could realy discolor the water. As for the fishing, it was very good. Most people in the area I was fishing were getting into fish. And a nice variety too, as not only were there pinks, but also coho, and springs. And some of the springs were of a nice size too. I myself connected into at least a dozen pink, and a couple of coho. The  wild coho I was able to land and later release was taken on a brass hammered croc.  And the small spring I landed was also taken on a  brass hammered croc. Did some short floating too, but most of my fish were taken on spinners or spoons.   And as a side note: although it has been beaten to death in other threads, these fish will bite if given half a chance. Saw some characters doing some questionable float fishing where they are heaving back on the rod - obviously trying to floss the fish. Other than that  this weekend should be very good for fishing on the Vedder.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:49:10 PM by dennyman »

Blackrt03

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »

Love that coho very nice

Taboo

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:34:19 PM »

I'll be out tomorrow or Sunday trying my luck! 

That is one nice 'Ho you landed!

As for the Walmart rod and reel, the fish don't know how much you paid for your gear!! 

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »

nice coho
Fish killer 101

JL

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 09:05:07 PM »

Thanks for the report...Nice fish

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »

beauty coho!

Man I really wish I wasn't on a plane tomorrow to Toronto...

Life is not fair sometimes ;)

Glad to see someone is getting them!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 01:17:08 AM »

So you are the lucky guy with a hatch coho I mentioned in my thread for the same day. Congrats. Any rod that can catch a fish is a good rod, so it is surely a 'special' rod, Walmart of not.   ;D

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »

danm nice fish congrats

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 09:24:23 PM »

awesomein lookin fish